Yeah i know there us a search button… - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Yeah i know there us a search button…

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Yeah i know there us a search button…

So I've been reading. I put the 35's on and have come to get a basic understanding of steering and suspension. Thanks gojeepin! So my question is (are) the RE or BDS? 4-4.5. Transfer lower or drive shaft mods? I'm not rock crawling so max flex is not necessary. I put my boys in this thing so

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE="vinnyabs"]So I've been reading. I put the 35's on and have come to get a basic understanding of steering and suspension. Thanks gojeepin! So my question is (are) the RE or BDS? 4-4.5. Transfer lower or drive shaft mods? I'm not rock crawling so max flex is not necessary. I put my boys in this thing so safety and drive ability are more important. Also, I know OME offers the 2.5" spring. (Read your thread Matt). But do RE or BDS? Yes I'm asking before I call. Thanks fellas!
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you are going to fit 4 to 4.5" lifts then drive shaft angles will become an interesting subject.

Transfer case lowering is not the answer for a stock driveshaft, the axle flange and the transfer box flange need to be about parallel or you will get changes in angular velocity as the driveshaft rotates, leading to shunting in the driveline and premature failure. This gets exponentially more serious the more the fklanges are out of parallel.

However as the angles the joints subtend increase you will find the joints wearing out due to the work they are doing and at much more than 12 degrees they may bind. At high angles they will start to vibrate quite quickly and then you will be replacing bits.

Every lift seems to be different but you are on the edge of needing a CV type driveshaft and hence needing to rotate the rear axle so the pinion points at the transfer box.

Before you get too far into it, read Tom Woods website on angles, get under there with an angle finder and measure what you currently have. Some simple geometry will tell you the effect of lifting it.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Bagus!! I have done that and paired up with a fellow local Jeeper who is well versed and assisting me. It won't be long until my 35's have some breathing room

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.