WWII Jeep photos AND Restoration of... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > WWII Jeep photos AND Restoration of...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 07-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

WWII Jeep photos AND Restoration of...

In an effort to remember our "roots" I have started this thread. It is all about the original jeep, how it looked, what it did, and how it was used. This thread will also show restoration photos, usage photos and restored jeep photos. I hope you like it and understand where the jeep came from and how it came to its current time.

The first photo shows my friend's jeep. He has personally restored or helped to restore over 40 jeeps. He knows his stuff and is a great guy. This is his personal jeep with over 70,000 miles on it since its original restoration. He drives it everywhere, much more "off road" than "on road". It looks great and purrs like a kitten. This olive drab paint is the authentic WWII olive drab paint that was used. It has over 19 different pigments in it, some of them were pink, yellow and purple. The US Army patterned their "olive drab" after the color of an oak tree leaf. The Marine Corps used another kind of "olive drab" during WWII. They were "Island Hopping" in the Pacific and their vehicles were painted an "olive drab" that was patterned after a Pine tree "needle". Therefore Marine Corps vehicles had a more "forest green" look to them, then the typical Army vehicles.

In the second photo, you see the front of the typical US Army jeep. To the left of the painted star on the front bumper is a hole. That hole was a guide for the "hand crank" that started up the engine if your battery was dead. The "hand crank" was kept behind the rear seat. It was inserted through that hole and lined up with the crankshaft pulley. With the ignition "ON" and the tranny in "neutral" you turned the engine. (You also set the choke and the carburetor, depending on the temperature of the engine.) It always amazes me, but they start like that as long as they are tuned correctly. And it was designed properly, so when the engine "catches" the hand crank automatically kicks out of the crank shaft pulley so no one gets injured.

The third photo is a WWII photo showing two GIs transporting two German prisoners. As you will note, on the rear is a specially made addition to increase their storage on the jeep. You will also note how the German prisoners are sitting, "back to back." The significance being if one tries to escape, they both get shot with the .45 caliber "Grease gun".

The forth and fifth photos show a jeep with its "water fording kit" attached. As you can see, it was able to go in a fare amount of water when properly prepared. And it has been my experience that a WWII jeep (that is properly maintained and driven) can still go in a fair amount of water.

100_5426.jpg   100_5518.jpg   jeep_mb_france_nazi_1944.jpg   jeep_mb_hrpe_fording.jpg   jeep_mb_hrpe_snorkle_1.jpg  

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Marine Corps Amphibious Jeep...

The Military Vehicle Preservation Association recently had their annual convention in Huntsville, Alabama. I went to it and took some photos of beautifully restored WWII vehicles. One of the more unusual vehicles was a Marine Corps Amphibious Jeep. They didn't make a lot of these but they are interesting to look at. You will notice the Marine Corps "olive drab" used on this vehicle, as compared to the earlier Army jeep "olive drab" from the earlier post. Also note that during WWII, the Marines used yellow paint to stencil information on their vehicles. The Army used a "blue drab" color which then changed to white for their stenciling.

In the forth photo, you will note the Danforth anchor under the anchor line on the "stern". I found that funny, but certainly necessary for anything that floats.

Take care,
100_6181.jpg   100_6180.jpg   100_6177.jpg   100_6176.jpg   100_6178.jpg  

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Interior Photos of WWII jeeps...

Hers are some photos of the WWII jeep. Both Ford and Willy's made jeeps during WWII. They were pretty much built identical except for some minor differences. One of the most notable was the front crossmember on the Willy's was a round tube, just like on the YJ. On the Ford jeeps, the front crossmember was a "C" shaped piece of steel facing the rear of the jeep. Also, on most Ford jeeps, you will find the name "Ford" stamped into almost everything. But please realize that there was such a mixing and matching of parts during WWII and after that it would be rare to find a jeep with matching serial numbers, much less "Ford" stamped on everything.As you can see from the photos, the gauges, knobs and switches have not been installed yet... but this gives you a pretty clear idea of the layout. The final photo shows the gauges. if you look closely, you will notice two "nipple" looking contraptions over the gauges. These were the "dash lights". These particular gauges were not illuminating so those nipple shown a small amount of light downward to the gauges.

Take care,
mb1.jpg   mb2.jpg   mb3.jpg   mvc-017f.jpg  

Unread 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Restored WWII jeep in use...

These photos show one of many "off road" trips which start "on road" first. Just like many of our Forum jeepers. These trips start at home with a nice ride to the nearest "off roading" excursion area.

WWII jeeps are limited to around 45mph on the road AND they only have one rear brake light. All of those other things on the rear of a WWII jeep are reflectors. Often, jeep owners will add an additional rear brake light just to avoid having police pull you over for not having two rear brake lights.

A WWII jeep had a gear ratio if 4:88 and they only had 53 horsepower (measured at the flywheel, not the rear tires.) That's it. Off roading is extremely quiet and efficient. They can go anywhere, within reason. Can they climb rocks and fallen trees? Sometimes, but the SOP would be to drive around such obstacles. Today's jeepers have engineered their vehicles to overcome these obstacles so they can better enjoy their sport.

When these jeeps are properly tuned, they are super quiet, especially in the woods.

In the photos, you will notice Alan drying out his distributor. Usually, these jeeps can go in water almost to the top of the tire BUT you have to take it slow. On this trip, he decided to go faster to "show everyone"... that is what that big "cheese eating grin" is all about. Three other jeeps made it through without problem. Once Alan dried the distributor cap, he was "good to go" and went, more humble and slower this time....

Take care,
img_2157.jpg   jeep-adventure-014.jpg  

Unread 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

WWII photos of "living out of jeeps"...

For you jeepers out there who take your jeeps in the field, in the forests, go camping in them or just out for a quiet picnic... do these photos remind you of anything? Minus the firearms, grenades and such... When I took my jeep in the field, we wouldn't take tents. We would just tie off a canvass tarp to the jeep and sleep under that. After a swim, we hung wet clothes on the jeep or a clothes line attached to the jeep. We were always eating near the jeep, while the camp fire was a little further away. Take away the weapons, and jeepers are still jeepers, no matter what the year is.

Take care,
150e649.jpg   jeep_mb_442rct.jpg   jeep_mb_italy_10thmtn_1.jpg   106cgsidemount.jpg  

Unread 07-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

British Airborne Jeep...

My first jeep was a WWII one which I owned many years ago. When I got out of Ft. Benning, my wife wanted to start having children and I knew I didn't have the money to restore that jeep. It ran but it needed some care. I could do all of the work, but didn't have the resources to restore her properly. A friend of mine found out that I would be selling my jeep and he made me an offer and picked it up. The following photos are how David restored my jeep. Please understand, DAVID DID EVERYTHING. I only sold him a jeep in need of restoration. He did all of the research and the restoration. They did an outstanding job restoring this jeep.

This installment is dedicated to David, his wife Paige and their children. They all did a great job restoring this one. I never dreamed of having my old jeep in anywhere near this condition.

If you look at he second photo, look at the rear axle cover. Did you notice that it is painted white? Now skim down to the last two photos in this post. You will see a small tubular lamp mounted on the frame, aimed at the same rear axle cover. In Europe, during the war, troops were moving at night to avoid getting attacked by German fighters. Troops had to move with as little light as possible so as not to attract German attention. Hence the painted white axle covers. The lead vehicle in the convoy would use his "black out" lights. This emitted just enough light to see the road at slow speeds. His rear axle was painted white and had that small spot light aimed at it. The following vehicle only had to watch that "bouncing white ball" and the brake light of the same vehicle to safely follow it where ever it went. This emitted almost no ambient light whatsoever. In the last photo, David took a photo of how this looks in his black out garage. As you can see, no emitting light whatsoever, just the illuminated white axle cover. Pretty ingenious for desperate times.

At this time, David restored the jeep as a British Airborne Communications Jeep. They would typically be brought in onboard gliders. As you can see, storage space was at a premium so the jerry cans are mounted inside the jeep. Glider space was always at a premium.

Take care,
jeepfront.jpg   jeeprear.jpg   jeepdriverrear.jpg   jeeppassengerfront.jpg   airbornefuelcans.jpg  

airbornewireless.jpg   jeepengine.jpg   jeeplamp1.jpg   jeeplamp2.jpg  

Unread 07-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

My 42 GPW on the left, and my 82 CJ7 on the right.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

82JeepCJ,

Do you have any clear photos of your GPW? Or your Cj for that matter. From what I can see, they look great!

Take care,

Unread 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The local airshow here in Arlington, WA has a WW2 camp complete with vehicles from that era and up to the present. Here is some of them.

I know its a M38, but its nice.

Very nice 1941 Willys MA

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
B52dude
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is pretty awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Red Jeep Club #614
B52dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SASjeepster View Post
In the forth photo, you will note the Danforth anchor under the anchor line on the "stern". I found that funny, but certainly necessary for anything that floats.
The amphibian is equipped with a capstan winch so the Danforth anchor probably served as a "land anchor" for winching as well as a sea anchor.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Some more.

MA Dash

[IMG]https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-
snc7/34511_131686993535580_1069257_n.jpg[/IMG]

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

80CJ,

I didn't realize it had a capstan winch on it. I could see its use as a "land anchor" very easily. Thanks for the post!

Take care,

Unread 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The REAL CRATED JEEP...

There has been so much debate on the subject of "crated jeeps" being sold by the government in the 1960s for $250. I am going to leave that to the debaters who know better...

This post is about how the WWII jeep was shipped all over the world during WWII. They were shipped in wood crates and assembled in the "field". On another forum, a man wrote about his father's experiences in WWII assembling these jeeps from crates. His stories were very informative and intersting.

Anyway, here are some of the photos. I will post others shortly. Remember since WWII was entirely dependent on shipping materials to the combat zone (just like it is during any other conflict) the jeep was a certain length, width, height and weight. The jeep weighed in at 2300 pounds. Since WWII, those weight restrictions had been relaxed to allow for upgrades in materials, powertrains and suspensions. The expected life of a WWII jeep was around six months. That is it, and yet there are many jeeps that are still found in fields sixty years later. Sure, they're rusty, but they are restorable.

FYI, did you know that after Japan surrendered, the US Government decided to keep the extra supplies and vehicles "on stations, where they stood." What that meant was, the extra jeeps that were no longer necessary since the war was over weren't coming back home. They were to stay where they were. The reason? Civilian industry had to switch back to "civilian production" not "wartime production." If all of this surplus came back home and sold to civilians, it would hurt home industry, so what did they do? Well, jeeps and trucks piled up near airbases and were used to fill in craters. They were also used to make artificial reefs and breakers. It just sounds so wrong to have all of those vehicles used like that, but that is what happened.

Take care,
jeep_gpw_crated_1.jpg   jeep_gpw_crated_2.jpg   jeep_mb_overseas_prep_10.jpg   jeep_mb_flatcar_1944.jpg  

Unread 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Field Assembly...

These photos are a continuing post about "field assembly" of jeeps. As you will notice, the jeeps are assembled wherever they could be. Sometimes in factories in the United Kingdom, sometimes in the fields of Europe Mainland. As you will notice, the number of jeeps is staggering in some of the photos.

This was a total "team effort"... no whiners... just producers. This war had to be won or Western Culture would be destroyed. We would be enslaved by Hitler or Hirohito. The WWII generation was truly AWESOME!! They saw evil, and fought to defeat it. They sacrificed for it so their men could fight against it. It is an honor to wear their uniforms and drive their vehicles. It is "living history" to honor and remember a great generation!

The bottom photos are mechanics "waterproofing" the engines, prior to an invasion.

Take care,
jeep_mb_england_assy.jpg   jeep_mb_ftknox_maint.jpg   jeep_mb_maint_sign.jpg   jeep_mb_overseas_prep_01.jpg   jeep_mb_overseas_prep_02.jpg  

jeep_mb_overseas_prep_03.jpg   jeep_mb_overseas_prep_04.jpg   jeep_mb_overseas_prep_05.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.