JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   WTH? Where did my year go? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wth-where-did-my-year-go-1471551/)

HALOjmpr 01-30-2013 06:43 PM

WTH? Where did my year go?

1 Attachment(s)
Have you ever looked at the calendar and noticed that a year went by and you haven't done ANYTHING with your jeep project. Yep, that's me.

I did manage to have 2 surgeries and go back to college after 25 years. I have completed an Associates degree in 4 straight semesters and I am going to transfer to FSU to complete my Environmental Science degree.(Also in 4 straight semesters.) I will have my degree in 2 years and 6 months total.

I did get to work on building a workshop to start the Jeep project and it is coming along pretty good. I should get tin on the roof this weekend and atleast have a dry space. I built a back shed off of it first to keep the donor body and some other parts under.

Here's my progress with the workshop so far. It is going to be about 1500 sq ft and I have room to build more side sheds if I need to add more space.

This will be the workshop thread ... I will start the real CJ thread when I get this done. Between 5 classes and 2 jobs it's hard to find dedicated time to work on it.

I got the poles for free from the local power company, I saved a lot of the lumber from when I built houses and I got the trusses cheap. I did the concrete with the help of 2 other guys and I splurged and paid for the Tin. I tried to find some thru craigslist but it wasn't worth the savings. I got 26ga 40 year tin for just a little more and I don't have to cut to length. :2thumbsup:

Look for more updates .... if anyone has some cheap windows laying around near me let me know :newbie:

Paul

SharonsRusty 01-30-2013 09:15 PM

Hi! Going to be a nice garage/shed when you are done with it! Good going on finishing school.......

HALOjmpr 02-02-2013 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonsRusty (Post 14882310)
Hi! Going to be a nice garage/shed when you are done with it! Good going on finishing school.......

Thanks I appreciate it. I made some good progress today .... it has a complete roof and fascia now. Hope to make progress on some framing tomorrow if my back and knees will let me after the effort today.

I had to come clean with my wife and admit to her I was relaly building a detached MAN CAVE and not just a "shed". When she came to check out the progress this afternoon she was like What, this is a lot bigger than the garage I get to use!" I have bigger toys I told her :highfive:

JeffreyCharles 02-03-2013 12:49 AM

Oh man, I can just imagine all the uses I'd put that space to. Jeep garage/shop, woodworking shop, boatbuilding bay, storage of all my On30 train stuff overhead. Currently, I do all that in a 9' by 14' shed. Congratulations!

HALOjmpr 02-03-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffreyCharles (Post 14898644)
Oh man, I can just imagine all the uses I'd put that space to. Jeep garage/shop, woodworking shop, boatbuilding bay, storage of all my On30 train stuff overhead. Currently, I do all that in a 9' by 14' shed. Congratulations!

It was originally going to be a pole barn but it has grown as I went along. I got the trusses for next to nothing but they were 10' longer than my original plans. I added the front beam and the space grew to them. You can't ever have enough space though. I'm lucky enough to live on 5 acres so I have the room to add.

If you look just above the roof of the van you can see the hoop of the donor body roll cage behind it. The 82 CJ I'm starting on has been sitting up for years and I ahve a buddy helping me to get it running before I do the body swap. I ordered a painless harness to rewire as we do that and I will do as much frame cleaning and resto as I can before we put the other body back on.

I gotta get this thing done first though.

The time now is 07:06 PM.