writeup:: hand throttle for dummies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > writeup:: hand throttle for dummies

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

writeup:: hand throttle for dummies

heres a nice mod that cost me nothing but an hour to do.

-materials-
shifter from a mountain bike
bolt, 2 nuts, 2 washers
drill bits, 1/4, 1/8

-tools-
drill press
wrenches

-step 1-
the first thing i did after taking the gear shifter off my moms bike was mount it to the my shifter. to do this i had to use electrical tape to widen the shaft a little.

-step 2-
once mounted i ran the linkage down the shaft an into the rubber boot. from underneath i brought it out of the way and ziptied it down.

the bracket on my engine that connects the gas pedal linkage to the carb had a spot to connect another linkage. i took advantage of this and made a bolt that would hold the end of the cable housing and allow the cable to move freely through it to the other end of the bracket.

-step 3-
to do this i drilled a 1/4" hole into the head of the bolt and a 1/8" hold the rest of the way through. then just bolted it up to the bracket. the cable on mine wasnt long enough to reach the other end of the bracket and i had to extend it a bit.

and there you have it.

Last edited by nichols077; 03-11-2007 at 11:01 AM..
nichols077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
73CJ5360V8

Pretty neat setup. My CJ also has a hand throttle, but it's mounted on the dash as a pull out. It's great for any rough or muddy spots in a manual jeep. One less thing for your feet to have to do.
73CJ5360V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, its just that simple. I've got nearly the exact same setup. What'd your mom say about her bike?
Unread 03-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Nice set up. Great work. I need to figure out how to mount that to my steering wheel.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

nice..I like your bolt trick,going to correct mine with that...And I also see you have a high tech tape player also..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambeled
nice..I like your bolt trick,going to correct mine with that...And I also see you have a high tech tape player also.
glad i could help. haha yeah thats a top of the line 1995 sony tape player. dont see to many of them. haha but the best part is its hooked up to a amp and sub. sound quality is only as good as the weekest point so ill be replacing it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark
What'd your mom say about her bike?
she said i couldnt use it, obviously, but i did anyway. haha. i guess ill get hell this spring when she realizes.

got to use the hand throttle already. i have been doing some engine work the past couple days and i guess i have knocked the carb out of wack and it needs adjusted. didnt realize it until i was on my way to work and it kept wanting to die when i let off the fuel, so i bumped up the hand throttle a bit to keep my rmps up at idle.
Unread 03-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

I do the same with mine when its cold sometimes...Ive got an old Realistic tape player in mine..Even has an original ozzy bark at the moon tape stuck in it..lol

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Unread 03-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambeled
Ive got an old Realistic tape player in mine..Even has an original ozzy bark at the moon tape stuck in it..lol
thats sweet. did you get it stuck or was it there when you bought it. i found a wrench stuck on a bolt way up under the dash behind the glove box. who knows how long its been there and how many owners have found it and tried to remove it.
Unread 03-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

nah its been stuck in there for about 12 years..I took the radio out of my first car,and pulled it out of a box to put in the cj..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.