Would you replace this leaf spring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Would you replace this leaf spring?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #1
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Would you replace this leaf spring?

Would you replace this front leaf spring? Studying threads suggests bending is not wise. I am trying to stay stock. I would appreciate your experiences and recommendations regarding stock ride height springs from Omix, Crown, SD Truck, or others. This is light CJ-5 (no top or extra equipment). Mostly road driven or easy trail giving kids rides. Rather have a softer ride than a harsh lift. Have read many positives on BDS and OME. Do they even make a stock (or 1" lift). PO runs 31x10.50 on stock rims. There are oversize shocks on the front. Appears PO must have run a big bumper, winch, etc. Not sure how PO bent spring and shackle. Thanks for helping a forum newbie.

img_0203-800x486-.jpg

img_0205-800x523-.jpg

JeepdaddyRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #2
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Forgot to mention - sway bar linkage lower nut also gone on same side.
Unread Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #3
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Not only should that spring be replaced but it looks like time for a complete suspension overhaul. I don't know anything first hand about the available stock replacement springs but BDS and OME both have good reputations for small lifts. Companies like Alcan Spring and National Spring might also be an option. All 4 new springs from Alcan should be about $800 and can be made to your specs.
Unread Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Would you replace this leaf spring?

Yes, along with the other springs, shackle hangers, bushings, etc....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:37 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

If you have a spring or blacksmith shop locally, they can repair it.
Personally, I would opt for a mild lift (2.5" or less), not only would this give a touch more clearance, but the ride will probably be better due to the springs not bottoming on the bump stops.
You may also want to replace the dust boot on that tie rod end while you're in there....
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:17 AM   #6
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

My original thought was to keep the stock ride height and choose from Omix-Ada or Crown 4 leaf (light duty) springs replacing OEM part # J5363229. However, I'm open to suggestions regarding a small lift if all springs need replacing. Fixing this CJ-5 up for my young son to drive. Don't want to raise the center of gravity too high for safety reasons. It has a 2.73 gear ratio, T-176 and 31x10.50. I don't think I can run much larger diameter tires on this set-up. It shudders on take off (that could be another problem) and don't need a lot of cleaance. However, if a small BDS lift will improve ride quality, I'm open to that. Suggestions and recommendations welcome.
Unread Today, 10:52 AM   #7
CJ7Kid
1985 CJ7 

I have the same drivetrain/tire combo, and it's killing the clutch. That's why I'm changing to 3.54s or 3.73s this winter. If your clutch is shuddering, it's probably already shot. If the T176 had a lower 1st gear, I probably wouldn't bother, but its a pretty high 1st gear ratio at 3.52:1.
CJ7Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:17 PM   #8
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

You could also look at doing a Wrangler spring swap. Find a wrangler from 88-95. They use a wider spring and the height would be the same. People who have done this say it is a better ride. Just go to the top of the page and do a search for spring upgrades or Wrangler spring swap.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:39 PM   #9
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

The chattering is the clutch trying to overcome an insanely high gear ratio (high gears+oversize tires). That is very hard on it and, as already mentioned, the damage may already be done. You're opening up a can of worms, here. That suspension is definitely not safe, as is, and needs overhauled.
Unread Today, 03:31 PM   #10
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
You could also look at doing a Wrangler spring swap. Find a wrangler from 88-95. They use a wider spring and the height would be the same. People who have done this say it is a better ride. Just go to the top of the page and do a search for spring upgrades or Wrangler spring swap.
This is pretty common as it does make the CJ ride softer. You need the spring packs, new spring perches for your front shackles and wider spring plates for the front. The rear springs bolt in place of your CJ springs. Go after market new on the springs with a mild lift 1-2.5 inches. The YJ springs have larger bushings which also last longer, keep stock length shackles, new shock absorbers would be advised. The YJ Wranglers were first built as a 1987 model.
Used stock springs are a mistake. Check your frame for cracks and weld as needed.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:11 PM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke View Post
This is pretty common as it does make the CJ ride softer. You need the spring packs, new spring perches for your front shackles and wider spring plates for the front. The rear springs bolt in place of your CJ springs.
You don't need to the change the spring perches on the front of a CJ to use YJ springs.

The only mod that is necessary is the front shackle hangers need to be 1/2" wider and the eye needs to be about 1" further forward. You can buy the wider shackle hangers, with the eye already in the proper location, that use the same bolt holes as the factory hangers. You will also need wider shackles on the front, or modify the factory ones to work.

Here's my YJ spring conversion thread. All the info you need should be there, somewhere.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:18 PM   #12
CSP

I think that was meant to say shackle hangers, not spring perches.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
leaf springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.