Would someone please explain the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Would someone please explain the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Giff

Would someone please explain the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift

I have been doing lots of reading and am trying to keep the dumb questions to a minimum, but I have always used suspension components to lower a cars center of gravity.

Would someone explain difference between a suspension lift and a body lift and why would you want a body lift? The concept of a body lift is about as foreign to me as speaking Greek.

Thanks, Giff

Giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Most 'real' trucks (unlike cars and car-like SUV's) use body on frame construction rather than a unibody. So, the body & frame are two separate units that are bolted together with rubber or polyurethane isolating bushings in between. A body lift in simplest form is just a set of spacers (and longer bolts) that extend the gap between the two. It's just cheap clearance for larger tires and like everything else has it up & down sides and can be overdone. A suspension lift is basically just a set of 'taller' springs (longer coils in the case of a TJ, leaf springs with more arch in the case of a CJ or YJ) that raises the frame further up away from the axles creating more room for bigger tires. Plusses & minuses there as well as well as different quality of springs and spring rates which will effect ride, handling & flex.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
CJClyde
1984 CJ7 

A body lift consists of blocks placed between the body and the frame where the body is bolted. A suspension lift usually is replacing the leaf springs with new ones to raise the frame and body. Both RAISE the center of gravity.
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

People use a body lift to give them more room for larger wheels. Suspension lifts are done for the same reason but generally require more parts and money. A 2" body lift may allow you to jump up a size in tire while keeping your center of gravity lower. The frame/motor/tranny weigh quite a few pounds and lifting it all up 4" or more will effect it's handling. Body lifts are much cheaper and have much less effect on handling. Body lifting more than a couple inches will probably pose some problems and look goofy. Having said that, a 4" suspension lift can be safe and comfortable even though the center of gravity has been raised.
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Giff

OK, I understand the difference now. I am 33, so I have really lived with unibody cars my entire life. The thought of body on frame didnt even occur to me.

Thanks
Giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Here is a list of ways you can lift a Jeep...

cb

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/topten/howtolift.php

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.