Would someone please explain the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Would someone please explain the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Giff

Would someone please explain the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift

I have been doing lots of reading and am trying to keep the dumb questions to a minimum, but I have always used suspension components to lower a cars center of gravity.

Would someone explain difference between a suspension lift and a body lift and why would you want a body lift? The concept of a body lift is about as foreign to me as speaking Greek.

Thanks, Giff

Giff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Most 'real' trucks (unlike cars and car-like SUV's) use body on frame construction rather than a unibody. So, the body & frame are two separate units that are bolted together with rubber or polyurethane isolating bushings in between. A body lift in simplest form is just a set of spacers (and longer bolts) that extend the gap between the two. It's just cheap clearance for larger tires and like everything else has it up & down sides and can be overdone. A suspension lift is basically just a set of 'taller' springs (longer coils in the case of a TJ, leaf springs with more arch in the case of a CJ or YJ) that raises the frame further up away from the axles creating more room for bigger tires. Plusses & minuses there as well as well as different quality of springs and spring rates which will effect ride, handling & flex.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
CJClyde
1984 CJ7 

A body lift consists of blocks placed between the body and the frame where the body is bolted. A suspension lift usually is replacing the leaf springs with new ones to raise the frame and body. Both RAISE the center of gravity.
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

People use a body lift to give them more room for larger wheels. Suspension lifts are done for the same reason but generally require more parts and money. A 2" body lift may allow you to jump up a size in tire while keeping your center of gravity lower. The frame/motor/tranny weigh quite a few pounds and lifting it all up 4" or more will effect it's handling. Body lifts are much cheaper and have much less effect on handling. Body lifting more than a couple inches will probably pose some problems and look goofy. Having said that, a 4" suspension lift can be safe and comfortable even though the center of gravity has been raised.
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Giff

OK, I understand the difference now. I am 33, so I have really lived with unibody cars my entire life. The thought of body on frame didnt even occur to me.

Thanks
Giff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Here is a list of ways you can lift a Jeep...

cb

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/topten/howtolift.php

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.