Would a new distributor cap really help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Would a new distributor cap really help?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Would a new distributor cap really help?

The other day I went through a puddle at like a measly 15-20mph. Engine cut off right away. I have had this a few times, but this seemed a bit to slow at the time because I didn't just go hog wild into a huge puddle, it was one tire kinda just skimming it.
My question was would a new Dizz cap really help stop this a little better? Or is there something else that I can do?

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

Had the same problem with the OE style cap. Went team rush and was able to eliminate the problem using that cap as well as other tips and tricks posted by JH and others. The upgrade cost me less than $80 using the recommended parts (but not the MSD stuff)
NelsonATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
7ate9
1977 CJ5 

I have the same problem with my CJ. I replaced the distrubutor cap and it still does it.
7ate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Time for some Sillycone.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

$80 overall? thats alot of a dizz cap!
sillycone really work? I got extra...
xD
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Part of the team rush upgrade advises to use dielectric grease to seal the top part of the cap and use the correct kind of sealant to seal the bottom part and/or adapter piece. The whole point is to keep out water. Keep in mind that silicone sealer usually emits acetic acid (the same stuff in vinegar) as it cures, so this could cause come corrosion on the brass parts. So I think the reccomendation is to use a sealant that does not give off acetic acid, especially if the vapors would be confined inside the cap. When I did mine, I use grease at the top but did not seal the bottom because I don't anticipate driving in water too much.
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hmm... Do i just seal the whole thing from oblivion? Because I do want to be able to open it again, right? xD what about some RTV sealent around the whole thing, that should keep water out but If i needed to get it open I could pry it by hand or use a screw driver or something.
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

How do you seal up a dizzy with silicone when it has a vacuum advance lever that needs to move sticking out of the bottom of it?
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
How do you seal up a dizzy with silicone when it has a vacuum advance lever that needs to move sticking out of the bottom of it?
I ment like the cap. just the top part, so that deosn't get water in it. Not the whole distributor.
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

You don't use silicone, you use dielectric grease.

You put some around the edge where the cap mounts. Keeps water from getting inside.

If you have the large cap conversion, you do it to the bottom of the cap adapter, where it mounts to the distributor (you CAN use silicone for that) and use the grease for the cap-to-adapter surfaces.

For the OP, the short answer is, NO, simply changing to the large cap will not keep water out. Sealing the cap will, and if you're not ready for the larger cap, you can still seal the one you have.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
You don't use silicone, you use dielectric grease.

You put some around the edge where the cap mounts. Keeps water from getting inside.

If you have the large cap conversion, you do it to the bottom of the cap adapter, where it mounts to the distributor (you CAN use silicone for that) and use the grease for the cap-to-adapter surfaces.

For the OP, the short answer is, NO, simply changing to the large cap will not keep water out. Sealing the cap will, and if you're not ready for the larger cap, you can still seal the one you have.
Alright, thanks!
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
ioport51
1977 CJ5 

Dielectric grease

dielectric grease will do an excelant job of sealing the cap and plug wires and it will not require a screw driver to remove things.

Your distributer and actually your whole ignition system on the 77 304 was made by presto light / Motor craft?? feel free to stop me, if I am mistaken. To do an upgrade to an Hei or MSD ignition/ distributer would probubly be the single most impressive thing you could do for the over all performance of your CJ for less than $250 and one afternoon. There seems to be a lot of tribal knowledge and urban legend that goes with this mod, you definatly need to do your home work on this one.

Last edited by ioport51; 07-23-2010 at 11:02 AM..
ioport51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioport51 View Post
dielectric grease will do an excelant job of sealing the cap and plug wires and it will not require a screw driver to remove things.
I thought thats how you were suppose to go at it with you rig though?
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

I had this same problem with the dinkiest puddle at work. I would drive through it on my way into the parking lot. When i tried to start the jeep later, it would not want to start. And, when it did start, it would run like crap for miles. Upgrade to the bigger cap and rotor, it will help a lot. I put silicone on the bottom edge of the cap adaptor, where it meets the dizzy. I used silicone with low acid, as that was all I could find, and let it sit open for a couple of days. Then I put dielectric grease in the groove of the cap, where the adaptor fits into. I put it all together and I haven't had a single problem with water since.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.