worth it or not... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > worth it or not...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 08-15-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
C_I_A

worth it or not...

there is an 86 CJ7 in my area that i might consider getting b/c my car is a piece of crap and i hate it. the specs that i got from looking at it are as follows: mileage-122848.5 4spd, i'm not sure what engine came stock in the CJ's however the engine is a straight 6 4.2l ac/heater am/fm/cassette 33" tires (don't remember the type), dana 44 axle. the guy is asking 7200 obo for it... is it worth the 7200 or should i say it's not and try to talk the guy down....what is it worth? thanx in advance for the help and the sooner i can get some feedback the better.
p.s. it has soft doors and top and there is almost no rust on the thing the tranny is a T-176 and both it and engine were rebuilt recently

C_I_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
cjryder

Don't know the market in your area, but that seems pretty pricey.
My brother got an 85 with a bunch less miles, completely rewired, zero rust, 2 tops, for 5K.
Unread 08-15-2003, 03:36 PM   #3
C_I_A

yeah i'm in eastern GA btw, and jeeps are popular but really only to newer ones
C_I_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
wm69

If it's in really good shape it might be worth close to that (provided it has a hard top/ full steel doors). There are lots of things to consider. The tranny and engine are great if they were rebuilt properly (cost me about $2300 to get my motor completely redone, but i know I'll have no more prolbems out of it because of who did the job). The Dana 44 is a definate +, the lift is questionable but good if it was done correctly, and the AC is nice to have, but not a must on a jeep when you have the top/ doors off March-sept anyway. I've bought one for $6K (renegade w hard top/ steel doors, T5, and 29K miles) and another for 4K (HT/ doors, T176, AC, Rancho shocks and 2" lift, 105K miles) and one is really no better than the other. Price depends on what has been done with it and whether or not it was done properly. If the mods (lift etc) are something you were going to have to do anyway, and they were done correctly, you have to look at how much it will cost you to add that stuff to any jeep you buy. If it has a lot of features you would add anyway, the price doesn't look so high cause that's stuff you won't have to spend money on later. I bought a beast for $2500 that had a rancho susp. lift, HT and doors, and all kinds of knick nack stuff that really adds up when you do it a little at a time, but it was rusted all to hell, and the engine/tranny were both worn out, the suspension was great but wasn't installed properly as the frame was to rusty to get it on right (mods done incorrectly are way more expensive to redo than just working from scratch). I put 500 in it, took the warn xd8000i and the 5 outlaw II wheels off of it and resold it for $2500. Thought about keeping it, but knew from the first one I had that I would spend way too much fixing the things that were wrong with it. ON the one you are looking at, the engine and tranny are rebuilt, and there's no rust, and the D44 won't have to have upgrades to be ok, the T176 is the best tranny offered in a later CJ. It will take a lot of $$$ to get all of that done to another jeep, so the price really might not be all that high (if it's really nice, offer him $6500, that's about the highest I've seen a stock CJ go for) Good luck

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.