Is It Worth It Guys... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is It Worth It Guys...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Is It Worth It Guys...

Ok guys... Im sax to be saying this but Im thinking about trading off my Cj... I found a 03 dodge thats lifted and has goodies on it too. https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4345079884.html It looks nice and I like it but then I think about my jeep and all the blood, sweat, tears, and of course money Ive put into it. Ill be graduating soon and in August Im signing to the Air Force. The jeep does great in my little town and going to others next to it but I dont know if it can handle driving far if I get stationed somewhere.. Ive put SO MUCH work into it, the carb swap, the valve cover swap, put a top on it, fixed the interior, the 35s on it, electrical work, fuel lines and pump, gas tank work, alot of new stuff under the hood, and was looking at rust and bedlining work here in the near future.. Do you guys think I should get the newer truck to do what I need? Is it worth the trade? I feel as if I get rid of the jeep Ill loose a part of me, but I know I need something that can do a difference. The bad things about my jeep is, when it rains water comes in some places (of course, not a big problem), sometimes it starts to stumble and the whole thing shakes when accelerating, the tires are getting low on tread(lots of $$$), and the interior lights on the dash dont work except for the parking brake light and the blue brights light for the headlights... Tell me what you guys think..

Chance85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
seabass1858
1983 CJ7 

too many miles and when something breaks on that it takes more time to replace a more expensive part than generally speaking for your cj IMHO. looks as if you will be pouring more blood sweat tears into that to make it worthy not to mention the higher insurance premiums. I would also venture to guess that even your cj gets better gas mileage than that. sorry my cousin has one and hates it worse than his 84 blazer k5
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

I'm with seabass on this one. First, you will need new tires. Those Nitto Mud Grapplers are about $400 each. The mileage concerns me on a used 4x4 lifted pickup. Trannsmission, T-case, cooling system, etc. Also, when someone states they want to trade their 4x4 pickup for another 4x4 pickup, that's telling me this one has problems they want to dump on someone else.

Fuel mileage would suck too.

I know its not as cool, but I would recommend looking for something more compact and more reliable.
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Yea I thought about that. Its so easy with my Cj and I know it inside and out.. I guess I just need some help to think of all the good things my jeep does for me haha. Ive thought of how I would want it to be when I get it to a really good condition.. Have a 4bt cummins in it, monstalined inside and out, HIDs and some other stuff.. Just wish I had the time and money to really make it mine so I will never think about getting rid of it..
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
seabass1858
1983 CJ7 

All your issues you describe on your cj are cosmetic aside from the carb. if your worried about a pickup so bad, get a small trailer for the future or a beater 73-87 chevy for a fraction of a price. I will tell you that if that dodge needs a new engine or transmission it will be probably double the cost of a warranted long block for the cj, same with the tranny.
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Is there a possibility you can store your CJ until you are out of the service?
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
seabass1858
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker909 View Post
Is there a possibility you can store your CJ until you are out of the service?
I did this with my willys but when i got into the service I ended another CJ to restart the love/hate relationship.
PS my great grandfather drove the willys before he passed while I was away.
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

If I left it anywhere itd be with my family. My little brother is going in to highschool next year and hopefully if I cant take it with me(praying I can) he will be the one to take her till I get back. He has some knowledge but not much on it so I dont know what will happen. If that falls through I will store it in some storage or family members garage when I leave and work on it when I get home.
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker909 View Post
I'm with seabass on this one. First, you will need new tires. Those Nitto Mud Grapplers are about $400 each. The mileage concerns me on a used 4x4 lifted pickup. Trannsmission, T-case, cooling system, etc. Also, when someone states they want to trade their 4x4 pickup for another 4x4 pickup, that's telling me this one has problems they want to dump on someone else.

Fuel mileage would suck too.

I know its not as cool, but I would recommend looking for something more compact and more reliable.
Ok guys, I scrammed the dodge idea but just today a guy offered to trade his 1985 928 Porsche. I havnt checked it out but FireW said to get something more compact? It looks nice on the outside. The guy said he got it from his neighbor that moved out of the country and now he needs a 4x4 to get out where he hunts. What do yall think?

forumrunner_20140311_103147.png

forumrunner_20140311_103159.png

forumrunner_20140311_103253.png
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I'd run away fast, very fast! It may be a Porsche, but it's a 1985 Porsche! No telling what gremlins are lurking under that hood!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback
I'd run away fast, very fast! It may be a Porsche, but it's a 1985 Porsche! No telling what gremlins are lurking under that hood!
Not to mention it's probably the ugliest Porsche to ever leave the assembly line! Blech!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

I know it looks ugly and all, but its more of a vehicle I can drive farther and faster. Im getting pictures of the interior and engine bay today. Ill post them later. I checked the values of this thing and its up there. Higher than my jeep at least but I know itll probably be a hassle if I ever sold it... I dont know yet.. Still hoping maybe I can get a newer Yj and not get out of Jeeps
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Price a timing belt/water pump job on the 928. That & a set of tires= the $$$ of your CJ!
Rule of thumb, never buy a German Lux car that has no warranty.
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Not to mention it's probably the ugliest Porsche to ever leave the assembly line! Blech!
No that was the 914
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
wm69

Keep your Jeep, buy something else to drive.

Jeeps are not good DD, but they aren't getting any easier to find either, so if you sell one, don't plan on just running out and buying another one to replace it in a few years. Best bet is to keep your Jeep, store it, and buy a beater accord or camry to daily drive for a while.

I'm 38, and I remember what it was like to NOT be able to afford a car payment, but any fancy Euro car you buy (BMW, Porsche, etc) will cost you more for EVERY LITTLE THING that goes wrong, than just buying a whole beater accord or camry. Are accords exciting? Nope, not in the least, but they get you from point A to point B. Buy a reliable beater, keep the Jeep, and it will be there when you start making better money as you get older.

Top Jeep in my sig line, bought when I was 17. Still have it. ALL of my friends had CJ-7's back in the early 90's. ALL of them sold their CJ's. ALL of them are now trying to buy one of mine because they can't find one that isn't a trainwreck.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.