Worked on the roll cage today but have some ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Worked on the roll cage today but have some ?'s

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Worked on the roll cage today but have some ?'s

Got the kentrol in place with the 2 kickers and overhead. Half a$$ welded with the TIG. When I get it all done I will pull it and weld the piss out of it with the MIG. My question is for anyone with a harness bar. Is it just a horizontal bar that runs about shoulder high (if not how high or low should it be)and does it need anything else welded to it. The plan is 2 new corbeau seats and harnesses in the near future.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g.../MyJeep054.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g.../MyJeep055.jpg

83 CJ7 AMC 360, nuttered & team rushed. Dana 44 rear geared & locked, Dana 30 front geared & locked Dana 300 T. Case 4" Tough Country Lift, 1" daystar body lift, 1/2" shackle 35x12.50x15 MT MTZ's on MT classic 2's, Besrk Bumpers, Genright Tube Fenders
NWA_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Hey, that's kinda interesting! What's that box in the middle?
Looks great, on the harness bar, you really should get your seats in and set the bar 2" to 4" inches below the top of of your sholder while sitting upright. Any lower and you can really hurt yourself in an accident, higher and they are not as effective in keeping you in place.

I'm going to add the harness bar, as well as seat mounts and side impact bars after I get everything up and running. TOO much fab work over the last year & half, I just need to get it done.
Again, nice looking tube!
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Looks great, on the harness bar, you really should get your seats in and set the bar 2" to 4" inches below the top of of your sholder while sitting upright. Any lower and you can really hurt yourself in an accident, higher and they are not as effective in keeping you in place.

I'm going to add the harness bar, as well as seat mounts and side impact bars after I get everything up and running. TOO much fab work over the last year & half, I just need to get it done.
Again, nice looking tube!
How do plan on running your side impact bars? I was messing around with some tube running at like 45 angle from main hoop down to the floor area and for me and would make it a little difficult to get in and out I'm about 6ft 235lbs so I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing yet.
83 CJ7 AMC 360, nuttered & team rushed. Dana 44 rear geared & locked, Dana 30 front geared & locked Dana 300 T. Case 4" Tough Country Lift, 1" daystar body lift, 1/2" shackle 35x12.50x15 MT MTZ's on MT classic 2's, Besrk Bumpers, Genright Tube Fenders
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA_CJ7 View Post
How do plan on running your side impact bars? I was messing around with some tube running at like 45 angle from main hoop down to the floor area and for me and would make it a little difficult to get in and out I'm about 6ft 235lbs so I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing yet.
Deff gotta be able to get in and out. As high as mine sits, the only impact I'm concerned with would be roll over. I don't need a high bar. This is my plan:
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
high51977

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA_CJ7 View Post
Got the kentrol in place with the 2 kickers and overhead. Half a$$ welded with the TIG. When I get it all done I will pull it and weld the piss out of it with the MIG. My question is for anyone with a harness bar. Is it just a horizontal bar that runs about shoulder high (if not how high or low should it be)and does it need anything else welded to it. The plan is 2 new corbeau seats and harnesses in the near future.
First let me say I personally think that TIG is a better and smother weld than MIG (at least that is what all the pro welder's I know tell me) I don't know if rock rules differ than IHRA but as a general rule of thumb, yes your shoulder harness bar should be no lower than three inches below your shoulder height
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
high51977

Quote:
the shoulder belts can effectivly be higher than shoulder height as they are only supposed to keep you from flying forward. the lap belt is to keep you from falling out if upside down and the crotch strap is to keep the lap belt from sliding up over your hips. of course I am going by IHRA rules for drag racing
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by high51977 View Post
First let me say I personally think that TIG is a better and smother weld than MIG (at least that is what all the pro welder's I know tell me) I don't know if rock rules differ than IHRA but as a general rule of thumb, yes your shoulder harness bar should be no lower than three inches below your shoulder height
It is definitely smoother and nicer looking, however I have never come across anything stating that it was stronger so who knows. At least I have both to choose from.
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Deff gotta be able to get in and out. As high as mine sits, the only impact I'm concerned with would be roll over. I don't need a high bar. This is my plan:

That would be cool, maybe 45 degrees was a little steep. I'll mess around with it tomorrow. How tall is your jeep anyways? It looks taller than mine but we have about the same setup. 4" + 1" + .5" = 5.5"
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

My setup might be a little different but it should give you and idea at least.[IMG][/IMG][IMG] [/IMG]
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It isn't that TIG or MIG is stronger, IMO it is just that since MIG is so easy to do, and so many people have access to MIG welders, it is much more LIKELY to have a weld with inadequate penetration. TIG welding allows absolutely precise control of your temperature, puddle, and penetration. MIG can penetrate just fine too, but it can also lay on top of the pieces you are welding, and LOOK like an adequate weld if you don't have it set up properly.

There is some badass stuff built with MIG process that is every bit as strong as TIG welds. Besides, it would take a friggin year to TIG up a full cage!
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

From your description it sounds like your setup will be almost identical to mine. What kind of harnesses were you planning on going with? I was looking at the Corbeau quick detach harnesses but the shoulder mounting setup is too long for my application. People look at you a little funny when you have 5 points on but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Unread 04-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Gonna go with the corbeau baja seats and probably their harnesses also. I will probably stick with the 4 point 2" for now not sure which style, they have like 3 or 4.
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

"******* Alley"... I like it, where did you get that sign?
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Got a little more done the other night I guess I'm gonna pull it this weekend and haul it to the powder coat shop. In the mean time I will mount all the stuff in the fatman overhead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.