Worked on a '11 jk in or shop today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Worked on a '11 jk in or shop today

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

Worked on a '11 jk in or shop today

A lady wanted a small 2 channel amp installed in her 4 door Jeep today. I of course scrutinized the entire vehicle. The grill is completely made of plastic! It seems more like a car than anything else. Oh well, it seems like this Jeep would be better suited for my lifestyle, being I tote 2-3 kids on the weekend and commute long distances during the week. Just can't see myself spending 30+k on a Jeep.

johnsom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
white_2003
1971 CJ5 

Yeah my buddy bought a JK, it's just not the same as my '5 though just another car. We always give him **** about the minivan motor and the butterflies the JK attracts on trail rides lmao.
white_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_2003
Yeah my buddy bought a JK, it's just not the same as my '5 though just another car. We always give him **** about the minivan motor and the butterflies the JK attracts on trail rides lmao.
Lol! We were just talking about the "minivan motor" tonight, as a matter of fact. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice vehicle. The push button sway bar and axle lock thingy was neat as was all the passenger/cargo room. Plus, I pulled it next to my CJ (I store it at our shop until I get it road worthy) and felt a little humbled that it's stock tires were a tad bigger than my 31's.
I guess I wouldn't refuse one if someone gave one to me, but it just doesn't seem like a true Jeep to me at all. Am I wrong to feel that way?

Sent from my Samsung Epic using JeepForum
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
MemphisCJ7
1983 CJ7 

It takes awhile to accept them as "jeeps"

I just recently began to look at TJ's as part of the family
MemphisCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

my son just bought a jk, 08 model, red, 4 door with hardtop, 40k, he has 3 small kids, so all 5 of them can ride to Soccer practice and be cool.

He has had a number of Jeeps over the years, but this one is the only one that offers seating for all and he can still get a little mud on the tires.

So far he is very satisfied with it, he can ride through the woods in my old CJ-7 when he comes home.

So it works for him and family.
only thing that would be better for my little 3 year old grandson would be that the jk was painted John Deere green with yellow wheels.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Everyone really wants a CJ!!! That is why the JK sells so well. Well, that and the curious habit of getting to its destination without breaking down.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

those 4 door jk's look pretty damn nice when they're lifted etc. though. the ones you see in catalogs and on tv. i'd drive one..
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

basically, the only two models of CJ-esque Jeeps I haven't owned are a CJ6, and a JK.

I plan to get a JK unlimited at some point in the future, as it would be very nice to take my wife AND my kids with me in the jeep at the same time

are the JK's different? yep

are they capable? absolutely

are they a CJ? nope

is that OK? yep (and open for discussion)

-by the way, that line of conversation has followed every new Jeep which has ever been made

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

I ride Harleys and get attitude from import riders. Sometimes it's a snotty attitude and sometimes it is an almost apologetic attitude but rarely is there no attitude. They don't seem to get that choose what I want to use don't get affected by what their choices are.
It's almost the exact thing between CJ drivers and those who choose new technology. The new Jeeps are nice. I prefer the primitive aspects of the timeless CJs.

[url]http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world[/url]
Shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
bajaviking
1985 CJ7 

I actually like the new Jeep, it has better diffs than previous models and you get 33 to 35 inch tires under them with minimal modifications. What I don't like is all the electronics and I just can't see myself taking a vehicle that expensive out on the trail and get all scratched up.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"
bajaviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I own both a CJ 7 and a 2010 JK, 4 door. Personally, at first, it did not even feel like a Jeep. It was quiet, very sluggish with its mini van engine, and is (as previously mentioned) made up of majority plastic. Those are the Cons. The benefits is that it is a quiet and comfortable ride, fits my family of three, versatile, leaves enough room in the fenders to fit 33s without a lift (slightly tight though) and my wife loves it. Its her vehicle, and I never have to worry about her safety, or relaibility. Plus, she can't speed in it since the few pissed off squirrels under the hood can't power it fast enough to get her into trouble. Overall, it is a nice vehicle. Not my standard for a Jeep since I do love my CJ, but it is indeed nice.
85CJEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace
I ride Harleys and get attitude from import riders. Sometimes it's a snotty attitude and sometimes it is an almost apologetic attitude but rarely is there no attitude. They don't seem to get that choose what I want to use don't get affected by what their choices are.
It's almost the exact thing between CJ drivers and those who choose new technology. The new Jeeps are nice. I prefer the primitive aspects of the timeless CJs.
I owned a sport bike a couple years ago and saw the attitude from the Harley guys, so I guess it goes both ways with everything. I'm not saying I don't like the newer style Jeeps, they're just not what appeals to me at the moment. I guess the same can be said for all the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger owners out there.

Unread 03-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace View Post
Can't say you blame some people on their choice to buy a JK Jeep. After all, what else are they going to buy new off the dealership lot, certainly not a CJ because they are simply not available. I bought my 84' CJ in 1984 at the local AMC/Jeep dealership because it was new, and I needed a new "fun" vehicle to drive around in. Was almost going to trade it in in 1987 on a new Jeep Wrangler until I saw those, and I'm sorry, "square headlights" that should have never been on a Jeep in the first place. I knew right then and there, after seeing the new Wrangler, that I was keeping my CJ until I died simply because it became an instant classic when Chrysler took over Jeep.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

I've got both. JK is a DD and my CJ is a project and hunting rig. I LOVE my CJ. My JK is ok. I have had Jeeps for years and trucks. My emotional attachment to my CJ is in a different rhelm. It's a blast to drive and it is pure Jeep.

Modern Jeeps and CJ's and earlier aren't comparable really. Imagine Willys lovers comparing their early CJ2's or 3's with CJ's from the 70s and 80s.

I see it as, the JK's are reliable (mostly) and modern. Are capable off road, but they cost so much, it's debatable whether it's worth taking them where they can go. The resale value is as good or better than anything else right now. .... and about all that plastic.... plastic doesn't rust, and can be cheaply replaced when broken. Not too bad really.
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippie21
and about all that plastic.... plastic doesn't rust, and can be cheaply replaced when broken. Not too bad really.
Good point!
And I want to get my hands on a Willy's too. It just took me long enough to find the cj, let alone find a decent Willy's.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.