Woot 82 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Woot 82 CJ7

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-16-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
Cj_Powah

Woot 82 CJ7

Hi im new to these forums but just stopping in to say Im the proud new poppa of a 1982 CJ7, she is in great condition has a leak here or there but runs like a raped ape. 258 I6 with Holley 500 CFM Carb, although the guy i got her from isnt sure of what Tranny is in her or the Diffs. Its a 3 Speed tranny I drove it home from Va Beach with no probs, after looking at all the other jeeps from 59-99 i feel like i stole this one for 1700. Sorry for rambling just stoked

Edit: he knows its not the original Tranny he blew it and bought one from a guy in Ohio, but unsure of the gearing. Diffs look to be stock what did they put in the 82? 20/30? Also it has locking hubs but i cant find any name on them.

After driving her for a day Im still happy with it and think i got a good deal, I just need to get with a knowledgable jeepster to give her a once over as i know Jet engines but not alot about cars/trucks. But im a quick learner. I have noticed a couple things like when i go into reverse i hear a loud "click" sometimes when i start rolling back. Also when going forward if i let the clutch out too quick i get a loud "slap" or bang like there is alot of slop in something down there. Any thoughts all you master Jeep guru's out there? Well any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thx in advance

Cj_Powah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
BART CJ5

I'd check your drive shaft "U" joints first for slop. That may be where your noise is comin from. Next look at your steering nuckle "U" joints up front. Dose your 7 have a lift? How many mile on it?

One other thing that surprises me is the Holley 500. Do you have a cam in it, or is it all original other than the carb? You sure it's not a 350cfm?

Keep us informed. Got any ppics yet?

ERIC
BART CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
Cj_Powah

Ok ill look at the U Joints and Knuckle tommorow, It has no lift "YET" <-- Insert Evil grin here! The motor as far as i know and the guy that sold it to me knows it is stock. As for the Holley Carb yup its a 500CFM the guy i bought it off of gave me all the reciepts from 2000 to present and the reciept from Advance Auto shows Holley 500cfm. Mileage it has 43000 and change, No pics as of yet i have a digital camera though so ill get some soon. Im gonna get up under it tommorow and right down the serial numbers and stuff off the Transmission and Tcase. I saw an Id tag on the Tcase but had nothing to right it down on at the time. As for the front and rear Diffs what is a way to tell what they are? My old 78 Ford had a Id Tag on the Diff like a 3L50 or some such will these Diffs?

Thx again
Unread 07-16-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
BART CJ5

If yer rear diff cover looks like an old WW2 Army helmet it's a Model 20 w/ two piece axles. Front axle is a D30.

Is there a header on your 258? How dose that puppy start up in the morning and, after it's warmed up. Do you know what carb was on it originally.

The reason I'm being so nosey is that my YF on my '79 is going in the trash soon and I hadn't heard any body putting that big a carb on a stock 258.

ERIC

Last edited by BART CJ5; 07-16-2003 at 09:05 PM..
BART CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Cj_Powah

The rear Diff does have a cover on the rear of the Diff i can see where someone would think it looks like an old Army helmet. As for the Header ill have to look, im on lunch right now so cant pop out and look, as for starting up in the morning i pull the choke out about 1/4 to 1/2 and she fires right up let her run for about 30 secs with choke like that then push it in and the engine idles nice and easy. Im in Virginia so havent experienced a cold morning start yet. Im gonna go over the Carb real good and see if i can find a serial number or and reference to the 500 CFM im just going off the reciept i have that says Holley 500 CFM and the Holley tag on the Carb itself

As for the Clanking or Slapping sound im having i did what was suggested and put the tranny in nuetral, parking break on and tried twisting the rear driveshaft i can move it about 1/2 an inch either way is that bad/normal? Thx
Unread 07-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Cj_Powah

Well i got pics but i dont see an upload image option on these forums and i have nowhere to host the pics
Unread 07-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #7
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

www.imagestation.com will host jpegs for you. its pretty simple from there. check the jeep registry page for instructions.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2003, 07:27 PM   #8
Cj_Powah

WOOT Thx a ton bud here are the pics

Last edited by Cj_Powah; 07-17-2003 at 07:44 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.