Wont turn right ! help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wont turn right ! help?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
jbeenz

Wont turn right ! help?

Hi all,
im new here, i took delevery of my CJ4a last week, (are cj4's allowed here ), and im having some issues with the steering(RHD), it turns left perfectly, but just will not go right, the box appears to be working ok, if i force it right it will turn about 15 deg, then stop. i can force it but it springs back, im thinking its a problem with the bit that goes through the chassis? (had problems on landrovers in the past), whats the story with these on a jeep? all the steering rods are straight etc.
cheers
jed

jbeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
jbeenz

ok so ive seperated the ball joints(rod ends) and have found that the left swivell hub is limiting the left wheels turning angle,hmmmm, consulting hanes manual now.
Unread 12-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
geojeeper

Good luck with the steering problem. Tell us more about your CJ-4a. Post some pictures if you can. I have heard of a prototype US CJ-4 that was never mass produced, but I'm not familiar with what was offered in other countries. Is it an AMC product or produced by someone like Mahindra etc.?
geojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
kaibab

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
kaibab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Indy

Go the easy route. 3 left turns = 1 right

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
jbeenz

heheh, ive tried the powerslide method, requireing less lock, but its not really a practical solution

CJ4a is mahindra(India) made, its basicly a long wheel base version of the CJ3b, they all use dana axles, and the same gearbox/transfur as the USA built trucks, usually with an awfull indian built copy of a french 2.2 D, which was never going to be a happy situation!
in my case, rubish engine is removed, Holden(GM) 186ci 6cyl petrol is in, with a ford(UK) transit gearbox, attached to the stock transfur box. this all makes for quite a tough little truck.
unfortunatyly i dont have a descent camera to take pics with at the moment.
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
kbtriumph

Is that a D44 front and is it open or closed knuckles?

If it is closed knuckle your steering problem could be related to the king pins or the closed knuckles.

Would love to see some pics. A friend of mine had a Mahindra CJ4 with the closed knuckle D44 in the front.
kbtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
jbeenz

i had thought it was a D30 from what i have read, but im not sure how to identify, on closer inspection its the same size as the rear, which is supposed to be a 44.

as for the knuckles, its got what my haynes manual bescribes as the early type, the ones with a "chrome ball" appearance and taper roller bearings top and bottom, current theory is that one of these bearings has locked up. does that make sense? (i was raised on landrovers....)
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
kbtriumph

I would bet that it is the tapered bearings.

That is what I call a closed knuckle front.
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
jbeenz

thanx mate,
how do i tell if the diffs are d44's?
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
kbtriumph

If both of you axle covers are the same shape They should be D44s. I think that since your front is a closed knuckle it should be a D44.

D30 axles have an oval shaped cover. Here is a link for axle id.
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #12
jbeenz

yup, 44's both ends. should handle all that im likley to throw at them ill try get some pics, it currently undergoing paintwork.
thanks for the help.
Unread 12-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #13
jbeenz

arrragh! it got worse - wobbling

ok, so i oiled the tapper roller bearings on the left, and it improved a little, i will strip both hubs over the next week, but i needed it to tow somthing tonight, now it has developed a nast shake, like the speed wobbles or a spring at resonance in the steering ab about 40mph, to the point where i have to almost stop before it goes away, it shakes so bad that the truck starts rocking and wobbling uncontrolably, this is not a pleasent situation, could this be caused by not having the steering damper on, or have i developed a bigger problem? nothing appears to be loose.
mechanic told me last week to take the damper off if i wanted better lock, i will be keeping it on as it goes offroad alot.
thoughts? (damper is currently off)

im not driving it again till i think ive sorted this one out.
Unread 12-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
Indy

I had Dodge Warlock several years ago that had turning issues. It turned fine 1 way, but sucked the other. Looking at it from the outside I found that when turning 1 way, 1 of the wheels was tucked in fine, but the other was extrememly over turning. Kind of scary really and made parking a *****. I took it to 3 alignmet shops and had misc. work done including a section of frame replaced, and got the same results every time. The 4th alignment guy had it for 1/2 a day and told me that a PO had 1 of the steering pieces mounted backwards. He swapped it back around and problem was pretty well solved.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #15
kbtriumph

Have you checked the axle U-bolts?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.