Wont start without gas in carb, any thoughts ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wont start without gas in carb, any thoughts ?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Chipmunk222

1979 CJ7 

Wont start without gas in carb, any thoughts ?

Cj7, edelbrock carb.

Will turn over strong but won't start until you add gas to the top of the carb. After it starts it runs great, and will continue to start without adding the gas anymore until the next day.

I'm sure this is something simple, but if someone can send me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

1979 CJ7 AMC 360*T150 3 speed/Dana 20*Moser 1 piece axles*Edlebrock intake manifold/carb*Cooper Stt 35x12.50x15 tires* Black Keystone Wheels*MSD cap, rotor, wires*Rusty's HD Tie Rod and Drag link* Goferit tie rod reversal* Borgeson steering shaft* Sams HD steering box bracket*Tire Carrier Bumper*Skyjacker Nitro N8000 shocks*Mountain Offroad Heavy duty 4 inch shackles* 12,000 lb Badlands Winch with wireless remote*

1980 CJ5, AMC 304
1988 YJ, 258
Chipmunk222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Sounds like your choke isn't working or coming on.
Does it have a manual or electric choke?
When the engine is fully warmed the butterflies should be fully open (vertical) with an electric choke. Are the closed when the engine is cold? And how many times do you pump the gas pedal before you hit the key to try and start it? Depending on how carbs are setup it can take one pump or a couple to throw enough fuel in the carb to start it cold. My weber takes one pump cold. And when you're looking down into the carb and you twist the throttle with your fingers, do you see a nice strong stream of fuel coming from each of the jets? Is it a 2 or 4 barrel?
Pics would really help.
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
CJATE

Mine does the same. I'm convinced I've got a vacuum leak. It allows the fuel to travel back into the tank.

Mine is not over night, but any longer then a few days and I have to pump the gas quite a bit. Like you say, runs like a top, once it's starts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
CJATE

Delete
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

accejerator pump

if all your doing is pouring a little gas down the throat and then it runs normal, id go straight to the accel pump. dont adjust things, with the ign off look down the throat of the carb an rotate the throttle linkage. you should see fuel squirting, if not then you have found your problem.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Chipmunk222

1979 CJ7 

It's a 1405, 4 barrel, manual choke, and you can pump the pedal all day, one time or 100 times, and it's not gonna start until you add gas.
I'm carb illiterate, and I'm trying to help, but sadly I don't know much about carburetors.

1979 CJ7 AMC 360*T150 3 speed/Dana 20*Moser 1 piece axles*Edlebrock intake manifold/carb*Cooper Stt 35x12.50x15 tires* Black Keystone Wheels*MSD cap, rotor, wires*Rusty's HD Tie Rod and Drag link* Goferit tie rod reversal* Borgeson steering shaft* Sams HD steering box bracket*Tire Carrier Bumper*Skyjacker Nitro N8000 shocks*Mountain Offroad Heavy duty 4 inch shackles* 12,000 lb Badlands Winch with wireless remote*

1980 CJ5, AMC 304
1988 YJ, 258
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?

I had a weak pump on mine and after a few days it would not start because the pump could not pump up enough gas to the carb fast enough with cranking. All the pumping and all the choke wouldn't matter until I got gas to the carb.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk222 View Post
It's a 1405, 4 barrel, manual choke, and you can pump the pedal all day, one time or 100 times, and it's not gonna start until you add gas.
I'm carb illiterate, and I'm trying to help, but sadly I don't know much about carburetors.
I would check here first....
Quote:
if all your doing is pouring a little gas down the throat and then it runs normal, id go straight to the accel pump. dont adjust things, with the ign off look down the throat of the carb an rotate the throttle linkage. you should see fuel squirting, if not then you have found your problem.
The accelerator pump is responsible for squirting a shot of raw gas down the throat of the carb.
With the choke open, look down the throats of the primaries (front two holes) and pump the accelerator linkage. You should see a shot of fuel squirt down the barrels each time you open the throttle. If you don't, then you will need to insure the linkage is good and moving properly. If so, then pop the lid and insure the check ball is installed, there are no blockages in the system, and the pump diaphragm is good.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Shlomi

I have a similar problem too, just that the plunger is new and I can see the top of the accelerator pump moving down when
Pumping the throttle and still it won't shoot any fuel. It's like the problem is that the plunger is telescopic so even the pump is pressed down it won't shoot fuel.
Shlomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
CJATE

My shoots fuel just fine, but only after a pump it from the tank to the carb.

I don't think my issue is with pump, I don't think there is fuel to pump.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Chipmunk222

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?

I had a weak pump on mine and after a few days it would not start because the pump could not pump up enough gas to the carb fast enough with cranking. All the pumping and all the choke wouldn't matter until I got gas to the carb.
It is mechanical and it was changed about a month ago.

1980 CJ5, AMC 304
1988 YJ, 258
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My experience has only been with motorcycles, but wouldn't an issue with starting, but not with running point towards something with the choke? Possibly a cruddy or blocked passage in the carb?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

accel pump. if you pour gas into it and it starts, well thats what the accel pump is for. maybe its not squirting enough gas into it. ot you have a major vacuum leak thats requiring a lot of gas poured into it to compensate.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It could be something like this also,

The little pinhole would not pump enough gas, mostly air, to the carb during cranking but after I put some gas in the carb, the faster RPM would pump more gas to carb to keep it running just fine.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

When I had this problem a few months ago, it ended up being something weird. In my case, it would start and run for a few seconds. Then die and not restart unless I poured gas into the carb.

The float was sticking. Adding gas to the carb allowed the engine to start, and the vibration from the engine unstuck the float! Took a while to figure out that.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.