Wont Crank/ No AUX power for anything! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wont Crank/ No AUX power for anything!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Wont Crank/ No AUX power for anything!

This is my first project car and im strating to get frustrated, i need advice!!

I am working on a 1984 CJ7 4.2L 258 recently it just died on me wouldnt start up, so what I did was order an HEI distributor thinking I might as well get rid of the computer all together and elminate that problem (at least thats what i was told i could do?)

I have replaced the following:

Fuel tank
Starter
Temp sensor
Solenoid
Battery
Battery cables to solenoid/ to starter from solenoid
HEI distributor
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Fuel Pump
And i have a new CARB coming tomorrow

My issue now is that it will NOT crank over whatsoever and I have no power to anything, headlights, turn signals, wipers, Nothing! and I cant for the life of me figure out why. Everything is new.

However before I installed the new HEI I could at least attempt to crank it over (nothing would happen, but it would try too) Not sure if i had power or not then, it was kinda sitting for a week before I got the HEI and didnt really notice.

Ive had many people tell me they think its the Fusbile Link, whats your opinion?

And if so any good explanation as how to replace other then follow the wire and disconnect and replace with a new one, or is it just that simple?

Or could it be something else?

Someone please help!!

Just a reminder there is NO longer a computer.

Thanks a bunch,
NICK

NickP84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
ROB03HD
1982 CJ7 

Get a test light and start crom the begining. Make sure you have 12v at the battery if so the. Check at the positive side of your solenoid. See what you got.
ROB03HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP84CJ7 View Post
Ive had many people tell me they think its the Fusbile Link, whats your opinion?

And if so any good explanation as how to replace other then follow the wire and disconnect and replace with a new one, or is it just that simple?
It really is that simple!

There are two fusible links, one between the alt and the battery, and the other between the battery and the rest of the harness. They actually make a "Y" when connected, with the common end at the starter solenoid.

SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Are there still at least 2 smaller wires(not cables) hooked up to the soleniod? One attached to a smaller post labeled "s" is the actuator wire for the starter. You can take a short peice of wire from that post to the positive battery terminal with just a quick touch to see if your major parts are hooked up correctly. If you can bump the starter with that, then move on to the smaller wires that should be connected to the solenoid post that the battery cable connects to. That is the wire that carries power to everything else(ignition,aux.,lights) Follow it into the jungle(harness) and go from there.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Fusible link is my guess....
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I am going to test all my connections and make sure they are getting power.

Assuming it is the fusible link, what do i need to replace that? just the lead wire and the part the connects to the solenoid terminal?
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

I did not see ignition module in that list. I had the exact same issue with my 83 when I first bought him. Replaced the Solenoid nothing, ignition module and pow back to life. Its mounted under your washer bottle...I moved mine to the firewall when replacing it. Less than 25$, but sounds like you have another issue now.
M20Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I was told that when useing an HEI distributor you do not need the ignition module, or is that a false statement?

The gentleman that i ordered from said buying and HEI replaces your computer, ignition switch, module, and obviously the distributor.....

Does anyone know if this is true or false?
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

I can't speak to that I have never done the HEI or even looked into it.
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

Just Googled it and I think your right no IM in the picutre with HEI. But sounds like you cant even test it now with no power....
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fusible-link-1107695/
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

This one might help too
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fuse-link-1302364/
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
jaketr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

mine did this problem when i got it and it was wiring on the soleniod once we messed around with those some fired up and stuff worked
jaketr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.