Wiring questions, 83 cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring questions, 83 cj7

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Wiring questions, 83 cj7

I have several plugs I need help identifying to finish up my rewire. I don't have pictures yet, but can post some later..

1. 2 pin plug, next to plug where wiring to rear of jeep plugs in. Contains an orange and a black wire.

2. 4 pin plug next to headlight switch. Looks like the same type plug as the wiper motor.

3. Same proximity as the 4 pin plug, but a single female terminal plastic connector, orange wire. There are also another orange wire and a yellow wire at this location. Wat are these for.

4. 3 pin plug to right of steering column. Contains a yellow, purple, and black wire.

5. Engine compartment, rh fender had a relay looking device with several red wires going to it. Wat is this and is it needed.

Does anyone have an accurate schematic for an 83 cj7? I have seen a lot for 78, but they aren't quite right.

Thanks,

auskier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Bump. Still looking for help identifying these connectors.

Thanks,

Brian
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
jrnewt
1986 CJ7 

Have you tried this one? http://iwantajeep.s3.amazonaws.com/w...g-diagrams.pdf
jrnewt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
auskier
1983 CJ7 

That one seems to be the same as the others I have seen.
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

orange wires are usually for interior lights. The ones toward the rear should be for dome light in an optional hardtop. The one up front; an interior light.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I think I found my schematics on binderplanet.com

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
mistrornge

1983 CJ7 

Pics. John S has a nice diagram on here of the wire colors and their location in the engine compartment.
Owner of a 1983 Jeep CJ7. I fear I am soon to be destitute from the constant desire to fix or "improve" things. Bought it to relearn auto mechanics, boy am I learning. In my avatar you can see my Jeep with my parts retrieval and repair vehicle in the foreground.

Master cylinder change, bled brakes, rear differential seal redo, replaced innards of a wheel hub, installed parking brake, rear folding seat, center console, half doors, soft top, refurbed tire carrier, pulled heater box, etc.

I would like to say thank you to everyone for helping each other and the great posts that are a big help.
mistrornge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.