Wiring problem flush mount LED tail lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring problem flush mount LED tail lights

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
pyarbrough

Wiring problem flush mount LED tail lights

New to the forumn and I have a 80 cj7. Bought some LED flush mount tail lights and can't get them wired correctly. The harness has a 3 way plug with a white, green, and white/grey wire. The LED lights has red, black and white wires. I've figured out that green is turn signal, white is brake and white/grey is tail lights. I spliced the red from new LED to green and white wires from harness. Then black to white/grey. Then grounded the white from new LED. Everything seems to work except the tail lights are illuminated bright and won't dim for brake lights to work. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

pyarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyarbrough View Post
New to the forumn and I have a 80 cj7. Bought some LED flush mount tail lights and can't get them wired correctly. The harness has a 3 way plug with a white, green, and white/grey wire. The LED lights has red, black and white wires. I've figured out that green is turn signal, white is brake and white/grey is tail lights. I spliced the red from new LED to green and white wires from harness. Then black to white/grey. Then grounded the white from new LED. Everything seems to work except the tail lights are illuminated bright and won't dim for brake lights to work. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
LEDS:
white = ground
red = turn/brake light
black = tail light
Swap the red and black wire position and see what happens.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
pyarbrough

Tried that and everything stays dim with no brake lights at all.
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

you might want to try either of these to get more traffic on your help/ needs:

Electrical - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/

CJ - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/

Sometimes people just look past tech requests in GD. Hope this helps

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

On the CJ are there two bulbs in the tail light one for the turn signal/brake and another for the tail light? They didn't use a dual filament bulb?

Autozone link to your wiring diagram fig. 15

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528004b198

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
On the CJ, are there two bulbs in the tail light one for the turn signal/brake and another for the tail light?
They didn't use a dual filament bulb?

No and yes (or is it no ((Not sure on the grammer in your second question)),
there are two bulbs in the tail light but one is the backup light and the other DUAL filament Brake/turnsignal and Running light.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
pyarbrough

Yes the old tail lights have 2 bulbs. One for brake and turn signal the other for tail light. The new LED is a double fillament. Do I have to add a relay in one of the circuits? Sorry I'm not much of an electrician.
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
No and yes (or is it no ((Not sure on the grammer in your second question)),
there are two bulbs in the tail light but one is the backup light and the other DUAL filament Brake/turnsignal and Running light.
On the dual filament bulb remove one of the wires. using a multi meter test it for voltage when you turn on the lights.

If you see voltage that is your tail light filament.

No voltage?

Shut the lights off and hit the brakes. That wire should now show voltage and is your brake/turn signal wire.

The other one going to that bulb is your tail light filament. The third wire is ground

Unread 12-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes the old tail lights have 2 bulbs. One for brake and turn signal the other for tail light. The new LED is a double fillament. Do I have to add a relay in one of the circuits? Sorry I'm not much of an electrician.
OK, if it has two bulb that are single filament and each have the following purpose

1 bulb for tail lights and the second bulb for turn signal/brake function that makes it even easier. Since you know which bulb does what then wire up the LED using the proper wire from each bulb to make the LED work

Unread 12-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
EgulAye
°||||°

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
The old lighting circuit combines Brake and Turn into a single wiring connection. When you use the turn signal that light has the brake circuit overridden. If your new lights have separate bulbs for each function then you'll have an issue regardless of what you try. It's like setting up trailer wiring on a vehicle that has the turn signals separate from the brakes, only opposite. The CJ has turn and brake combined into a single filament. Parking lights are on the second filament (dim). The second bulb on a CJ is for reverse lights (backup lights). What did you buy exactly? Do you have a link to the product page? Photos you can post, 1 of the wires and 1 of the light as mounted? Does the new light fixture include a reverse lamp?

It sounds like you have an extra LED "bulb" that you don't need in there...

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Well it should not be that way. Maybe the PO did something to screw it up.

Can you email me a picture of your tail light?

There are lots of problems here otherwise.

If the PO had wired the brake lights and turn signal to work on two different bulbs then you will need an adapter like you would use in trailers. This might of been caused by a faulty turn signal switch. He would of needed to run some new wires in the harness to make this work.

But you say it still has the original 3 way plug for the lights so that can't be unless the PO did some creative wiring and spliced in the brake line to the backup lights circuit and and and... well you see that this can get into a big mess...

And if you have a bad ground to the original tail light, then it can 'appear' to be working the way you describe but that's just magic...

So contact me via PM and I'll send my email address. or post the pictures to an online site and post the link.
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On the CJ are there two bulbs in the tail light one for the turn signal/brake and another for the tail light? They didn't use a dual filament bulb?

Here is diagram #15

Unread 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The left hand turn lamp gets a signal from the turn signal switch along a LT GRN/TR wire.
The right hand turn lamp get a signal from the turn signal switch along a LT GRN wire.

So, each of the tail light bulbs gets one wire from the turn signal switch depending on the side they are on.

Note the stop lamp switch ALSO goes through the turn signal switch through a pink wire, so does the hazard flasher switch.

Which means that the tail lamps become brake lights when you activate the brake lamp switch. The tail lamp bulbs are double filament if I read that diagram right.

Their wiring becomes common in the turn signal switch so it seems.
So when you hit the brakes the stop lamp switch activates BOTH tail light bulbs....I think

Unread 12-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
The left hand turn lamp gets a signal from the turn signal switch along a LT GRN/TR wire.
The right hand turn lamp get a signal from the turn signal switch along a LT GRN wire.

So, each of the tail light bulbs gets one wire from the turn signal switch depending on the side they are on.

Note the stop lamp switch ALSO goes through the turn signal switch through a pink wire, so does the hazard flasher switch.

Which means that the tail lamps become brake lights when you activate the brake lamp switch. The tail lamp bulbs are double filament if I read that diagram right.

Their wiring becomes common in the turn signal switch so it seems.
So when you hit the brakes the stop lamp switch activates BOTH tail light bulbs....I think

No you are getting it. the turn signal switch is even more complicated in that it also isolates the front turn signals from turning on when the brake is activated. and joins them all back together , front, rear, left and right when the hazard flashers are activated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNei6auqXys
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
No you are getting it. the turn signal switch is even more complicated in that it also isolates the front turn signals from turning on when the brake is activated. and joins them all back together , front, rear, left and right when the hazard flashers are activated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNei6auqXys
That turn signal switch is like Grand Central Station!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.