Wiring Problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring Problem

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
dave73
1978 CJ5 

What do you meam by cycling the emergency flashers, i have tried them, and they dont work as well. I have put in a working flasher from my friends jeep, with no success. I have tested the groung to the tail lights with a test light, and it showed that there was a ground at each side. they are grounded to the frame. The only reason i thought it might be the turn signal switch is because, a. they dont work at all, and b. when unplugged the 2 rear side marker lights work, and they dont light up when plugged in unles the brake is applied(in that case the front side marker lights go out!). Im sure it is going to be somethig small, just finding it is going to drive me crazt.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
What do you meam by cycling the emergency flashers, i have tried them, and they dont work as well. I have put in a working flasher from my friends jeep, with no success. I have tested the groung to the tail lights with a test light, and it showed that there was a ground at each side. they are grounded to the frame. The only reason i thought it might be the turn signal switch is because, a. they dont work at all, and b. when unplugged the 2 rear side marker lights work, and they dont light up when plugged in unles the brake is applied(in that case the front side marker lights go out!). Im sure it is going to be somethig small, just finding it is going to drive me crazt.
OK.

Showing a ground to the frame isn't the same as showing a ground to the tub. The tub itself can and does easily lose the ground which is why I don't mess around and just clamp a booster cable right onto the fixture to be 'sure' that is not an issue.

The rear side markers are a 'ground' tag for the running lights. They use a wire that screws into the body tub for ground, not the fixtures. Again we come to a ground issue.

The brake and signal light 'will' steal ground through this running light wire when the fixture loses it.

And yes, that signal switch could be melted out. Be aware it uses a 'different' flasher than the emergency lights, but still... What happens if you just remove the flasher?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashawk View Post
Start with the turn signal switch, most the lights on the Jeep go through the turn signal switch in the steering column. I say that because they don't work and you're going to have to fix those too.

You should be able to pick one up for about $30.00 plus all the specialty tools to tear down the column.
Funny, flashawk was the first poster and he has the correct answer.
My 82 CJ7 did the exact same thing, I mean identical.
$30 for a new turn signal switch and an hour later it was fixed.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
Funny, flashawk was the first poster and he has the correct answer.
My 82 CJ7 did the exact same thing, I mean identical.
$30 for a new turn signal switch and an hour later it was fixed.
It will be interesting to see. I have played with a lot of Saganaw steering columns over the years and have seen very few out and out failures like that. No return actions and broken levers, but not often a melt down.

What caused yours to melt down?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 04-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
What caused yours to melt down?
The contacts in the white part of the switch.
If all lights come on, even the gauge lights on the dash, Every time it's been the turn signal switch for me.
That's not to say there isn't another problem present.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
dave73
1978 CJ5 

I removed the flasher, and have the same results as i do when it is in. The jeep has been totally redone by PO, and the harness is in great condition. I have 2 main areas that have been brought to my attention. 1. the turn signal switch. 2. The brake light grounds. I have a fiberglass tub, so they are directly to the frame. I will clean up and reattatch the tail light grounds to the frame first, and if that doesnt work i will move to the directional switch( that actually looks new, possibly could be the wrong part, or initially defective. I am off all week from work, so i plan to get this done this week. Any other suggestions?
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #22
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Reply in red below because the Forum software does not see it as a response and I had to type something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I just got done trying to figure out my light problems, an here is where i am at, please keep in mind i am an EXTREME amatuer at this.

1. should the wire colors from the turn signal switch, and the wiring colors on the plug that you plug itno each other br the same colors on each side.....mine arent (i would assume they should) this leads me to believe that i have the wrong directional switch for the jeep. at this time no turn signals or flashers work

Like Mike said, the colors from the switch to the plug could be any color, I have at lease 3 variations in the jeeps I have. Also the plugs are not always the same. The plug from my 76 TS does not fit the plug in my 84 harness.

2. all light sockets are grounded with proper working bulbs. I tested the fuse box with the test light. with the fuse in the box i get no lite when i hit the brake, without the fuse in the box i get a strong light when i hit the brake. is this correct? am i doing it wrong?

Are we talking about the brake fuse? Then, No this is wrong, This still screems Ground Problem to me also.

Any help ideas i can get from you guys is greatly appreciated. Dave
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

[QUOTE=dave73;5110689I have a fiberglass tub,[/QUOTE]

The rest of the story......

Here are the ground tags you need.

The rear fixtures. (I soldered a 10 ga wire right onto the backing plate.)

The rear running light 'harness' has a ground tag.

The front running/signal light 'fixtures' need to be grounded. (again I soldered a wire onto the back of the fixture, vibration got them so the ground is currently hose clamped to the tail of the fixture.)

The headlights each have a ground wire.

The fuel sender out back has a ground.

The dash panel has to be grounded for the headlight switch to work properly.

The 'new' headlight switch may have a missing jumper that controls the lights.

I ran all the 10 ga new ground pickups (one per harness) up to a ground bar on the firewall I hooked to the battery.
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
dylan0708
1984 CJ7 

alright i think im in the same boat... i had to rewire my 84 and there is some funk going on when i turn on the lights the left signal licht stays on and i can start it without using the clutch also the fan will not turn on either... all of this stuff was working before i had to tear it all down... when i bought the jeep everything worked but it looked like the owner let his five year old kid have a feild day under the dash board is there a simple way to fix this like maybe a schematic or something?
dylan0708 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.