Wiring issues please help - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HoDad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
abridges

Wiring issues please help

Ok let's start with the basics I've got a 83 cj7 with a brand new 258 auto trans not sure what it is exactly but that's for another day I've got 11 inches of lift total sitting on 35s the thing is a beast during the day I just got it about 3 weeks ago at night I turn the headlights on and the volt meter goes crazy and the lights go dim until I get on the gas then they are bright again I thought it was the alternator so I ordered one 100 amp job thinking that should fix it input it in this afternoon and now the lights stay dim constantly and I mean way too dim to be able to drive with I'd be better off mounting a mag light to the hood can anyone help what should I do next

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 AM
HoDad
1981 CJ5 

This:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...rence-1399040/
And this:
https://www.amazon.com/Rampage-50899...ype=automotive

And make sure your headlights have a good ground.
batmn77 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-23-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
abridges

Thanks I think I need new headlights too the wiring on this thing is original so I think new everything is in order to be able to run it the way I want to as a somewhat daily driver and weekend toy

post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2017, 02:39 PM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

I think I would verify that the charging system is OK before I bothered screwing with the lights. You said it got bright when you brought the RPM's up, but didn't after you swapped in the new alternator, that tells me you have charging issues. That relay system is a very good idea, but not until you know you have juice.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
abridges

I don't know much at all about wiring a vehicle and hate to sound stupid but with the new alternator (it only reads 11 volts until the lights are on then drops to 5 with the lights on the old one would stay at 17 while pushing the gas then bounce all over the place with the lights on) where do I check from here without rewinding everything and doing the new headlights I wanna go with a dual battery setup to run my winch and on board air but neither of those are installed right now cause If I don't have the power to run lights I sure do t have enough for either of them any ideas on where to check and how to do it would be greatly appreciated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.