Wiring issues, Need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring issues, Need help

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
zombiereaper205
1985 CJ7 

Wiring issues, Need help

OK well when i got the jeep i had no charge from the alternator, had it tested they said it was good. was told it might be wiring and have not 1 brown wire for alternator i have 3 for some reason in the harness, am i loosing my mind need help fast. plz, will be posting pics asap

zombiereaper205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Welcome to Jeepforum! You did the right thing by having the alternator tested. That rules out one potential problem.

Here is a basic diagram that shows how the alternator should be wired:

Note that your Jeep may have a different type of alternator, so we should confirm that first.
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiereaper205 View Post
OK well when i got the jeep i had no charge from the alternator, had it tested they said it was good. was told it might be wiring and have not 1 brown wire for alternator i have 3 for some reason in the harness, am i loosing my mind need help fast. plz, will be posting pics asap
I have to ask...how do you know the alternator is not charging? What method of troubleshooting did you use to determine the problem.

Here is a quick and dirty method to determine whether alternator is working.

Start the engine and remove the negative battery terminal. If the engine continues to run the alternator is fine, if the engine dies, the alternator or wiring is bad.

Additional information would be helpful to determine what you have going on. Details of the symptoms you are experiencing are needed.

Good Luck and welcome to the Jeep Forum.......
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
zombiereaper205
1985 CJ7 

i have tried that method also, have started the jeep and removed the battery cable, she just died. so i have come to the conclusion that it had to be wiring since i had the alternator tested. i will tell you what kind of alternator it is in the morning and maybe that will help out a lil bit. thanks for all ur help so far
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Start checking the terminal ends on your cables. Many times they look good but have corrosion or are only hanging on by a few strands. I have been fooled more than once by a bad cable.

Posting some pictures would also be helpfully.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
zombiereaper205
1985 CJ7 

well lets start by saying its not the cables but just in case i brought new ones today, and its a delco alternator. talked to a few mechanic friends today and they said i should try a one wire alternator since i had wiring problems, do yall think thats a good idea ? still working on the pics sry
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
ioport51
1977 CJ5 

I have a cs 144 GM alternator on my 4.2. it is a pretty easy swap can be found on lots of Cadillacs and is 140 amp +-
Mine was built by Rush power systems and has a remote voltage regulator, non avalanche diode pack and a life time warranty.
I have been told that one wire alternators are not the best way to go, especially if you pull amps from a winch, lights, air compressor Etc.
If you go with a larger alternator be sure to use a larger cable between it and the solenoid.

Tags
alternator , charging , circuit , exciter wire , wiring , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.