Wiring issue no headlights and a front brake light??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring issue no headlights and a front brake light???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
cescj85
1985 CJ7 

Wiring issue no headlights and a front brake light???

I own a 85 Cj-7 when I first purchased the jeep I only had one brake light in the left rear. But the front right running light and front right marker would come on as a brake light. This was 4 years ago since then the jeep has sat for an extended period of time (3yrs) while I went back to college and finished doing work on the driveline body ect. Now that I have it running again my marker light is dead along with the headlights... I'm assuming the headlights are most likely a grounding problem and wasn't sure if the brake light issues could also be due to a faulty ground wire?

Any ideas would be most appriciated

Unread 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
shok47
1983 CJ7 

I just tackled a grounding issue in mine. When I did my RMS, I removed the battery to frame ground and put it on the engine mount. This caused poor grounding because of the layer of paint and the amount of things the ground current had to travel through. So I chose a new spot and wire brushed all the paint off to make it shiny and bolted it back on. Works great now.

Thanks to JeepHammers write ups, I learned alot about electrical. If you go to this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...trical-847238/ it will have other links going to Jeephammers writeups about making proper connections and grounding. He also mentioned the electrolysis disease where improper grounds can cause rust and corrosion. So there COULD be a possibility that buildup of corrosion has taken a toll on the wires. Best bet is to make some good grounds because you need good ones. Another practice i picked up was submerging the cable ends into baking soda+water to fight the corrosion. This helps fight up through the wire a little ways.
Unread 01-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well one way the front lights can act as a brake lights is if the emergency flasher switch is pushed in. The other way is all grounding problems.

Your headlight could also be the floor dimmer switch which is usual.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
cescj85
1985 CJ7 

Its getting better now I have no brake lights... however I did find that the hazard switch was depressed might have been part of one of the problems.

I tried the floor dimmer switch and cleaning the ground wires to both headlamps with no change
Unread 01-27-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Need to get a test light from Walmart and check to see if there is power to the plugs.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
cescj85
1985 CJ7 

I checked the headlight plugs and there is no power to them...

I would really like not to but I'm starting to think about breaking the lights off into separate switches or installing a painless harness now because of the condition of the wiring harness but have no clue what all is involved with rewiring an entire jeep any advice?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.