Wiring the igntion with a relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring the igntion with a relay

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
jordanhc
1985 CJ7 

Wiring the igntion with a relay

I recently aquired an 85 CJ-7. The PO left me with the standard hacked up wiring harness with lots of very poorly connected splices in it so I've been going through and replacing much of the wiring. Found the power wire from the ignition switch going to ignition control module and the ignition coil and noticed its an 8 gauge. I don't really know much about ignition systems but I assume if it needs an 8 gauge wire it must pull a lot of amps. Seems to me that running all that power through the ignition switch is a bad design and I should rewire it through a relay. So the question is, is this a good idea? Also, how many amps would the relay need to be rated for?

jordanhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The factory wire size I thought was a #10.

But yes I thought about clipping the red with white stripe as it came through the firewall and having that wire energize a relay and then using that relay output to re-feed the red with white stripe wire to remove most of the load from the ignition switch.

A 30a relay should do it.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
jordanhc
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the info. I think I will go to the junkyard tomorrow and see if I can find a relay box to put all the loose relays in and add in relays for the ignition and headlights as well.
jordanhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Try a s series Saturn. Take the hole under hood junction box. Rewire it as needed.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It is rare to get the switch to fail just because of the ignition current. The ignition circuit is not even fused as it is a reliability issue, dead fuse / relay = stranded CJ.

It is also means any future owner will curse the PO (you) for putting in a relay.

However there are plenty of circuits which would benefit from relays and heavier power and return cables, lights being a major one. The voltage drop along those undersize wires kills the lights.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.