Wiring a Horn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring a Horn

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-02-2002, 09:05 AM   #1
DaJeeper

Wiring a Horn

Hi all,
When I bought my jeep (83 CJ7 I6 258 T5) the guy had bought a Stebel Horn which he had mounted and partially wired. I have since been trying to get it working properly. I know the horn itself works as I tested it against some live wires.

I have a 4 post relay which the horn is supposed to be hooked up to. I have the number 30 pole connected to the battery behind a fuse (inline) and I have the number 87 pole on the relay hooked up to the positive pole on the horn. I also have the negative pole on the horn grounded. What I can't figure out is pole number 86 on the relay which is suppose to go to the horn button and pole number 85 on the relay which is suppose to go to the "power from fuse block".

Now, there is a large group of wires wrapped in a plastic sheath which is going to a test module. A brown wire coming out of that sheath is connected to pole 86 on the relay. I'm not sure if this is correct but it's what the previous owner had attached to the relay.

I found this diagram in another post and it's exactly like what I'm trying to do:

So, after all that, the questions are:

How do I know which wire is coming from the horn button?

How do I know which wire is coming from the "power from fuse block"?

Can both of these wires be gotten from the large group of wires going to the test module?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

DaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check pole 86 for ground. Put your multimeter on ohms and ground one lead. Put the other lead on pole 86. You should read 0 ohms. (or close to that)

Pole 85 should have no power or ground on it until you actuate the horn button. With the horn button pressed you should see 12 volts there. Set your multimeter up for DC volts up to 25 volt range. Put the neg lead on a good ground and the positive lead on pole 85. Have your friend turn the key on and then press and hold the horn down for a few seconds. You should see 12 volts there.
Unread 12-10-2002, 09:56 AM   #3
boredstiff

If you don't have it working call me

Bill,
If you can't get it working, call me and I can walk you through what you need to do.
hvnfunru@hotmail.com
write me and I'll send ya my number. Hope you got it though!!!

John
boredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.