wiring a hidden kill switch on the ignition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > wiring a hidden kill switch on the ignition

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

wiring a hidden kill switch on the ignition

please give me some creative options for wiring a kill switch into my cj7...

I have the feeling i need to add more security features as I clean up my ride.

a secret switch couldnt hurt

what do i need to know about wiring in an extra security switch?

Unread 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
79BlackPearl
1979 CJ7 

Do a search of the JeepForum (JF) for what you are looking for. There are hundreds of posts about what you are needing. Search for "hidden kill switch", or "hidden starter switch" or hidden magnetic reed switch.

You should be able find all that you need.

Here is a start: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...93&postcount=7

Good Luck

Guaranteed to Make $$$$ with your Computer! No Risk Involved! Simply press shift-4 four times in a row.
79BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostINohiO View Post
please give me some creative options for wiring a kill switch into my cj7...

I have the feeling i need to add more security features as I clean up my ride.

a secret switch couldnt hurt

what do i need to know about wiring in an extra security switch?
With an '85, if you do it wrong, you will kill your ignition module and maybe your ignition coil.

Most people ground the ignition coil to 'Kill' the ignition.
Since Jeep used a DuraSpark ignition module, you can't do that in the traditional sense...
Grounding out the coil with the power 'On' will fry the ignition module and maybe the coil...

I would suggest a switch in the wiring going to the ignition, before it gets there, so things don't work, instead of being grounded out...

It's easy to interrupt the 'Red' wire going to the module, and route a switch in that line...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful using a reed switch inline with your neutral safety switch like that thread explains. If you use a magnetic reed switch inline with your neatral safety switch what happens when you stall it out in traffic? You have to go stumbling around for that magnet to get it started again and hope not to get rear ended in the process. Below is a link to read through and there is a more complex set up which is "much safer" but it is written for the TJ's. I'm sure you can wire it up in a similar way to latch a relay after the magnet has been placed against the switch until the actual ignition is turned off. This way when you stall it out the key remains in the on position thus keeping the relay active allowing you to restart with out the magnet. Once the key has been turned off you'll need the magnet again. The link to a safe way of doing this is below but as I said it will need to be adapted to the CJ. Mr. JeepHammer can most likely come up with some sort of wiring diagram if you ask nicely

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=530365

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.