Wiring Harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring Harness

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
s.wetherald

Wiring Harness

I am restoring a 1974 Cj-5 with a 304 ci and am in need of a new wiring harness. The current harness on it has taken quite a beating. What is a good bumper-to-bumper wiring harness that includes a fuse box without breaking the bank. Thanks.

s.wetherald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

the fav of this forum would have to be painless. but i also didnt want to empty my wallet and bought a www.ezwiring.com 21 circuit harness for $160 off ebay. havnt had good enough weather to install it yet though
nichols077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
chuckie

do yourself a favor and get the painless... i got one for my scrambler, i should have done that years ago. i suffered through the previous owners wiring skills for years
chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
s.wetherald

Would the harness that you suggested wire everything or would I have to add to it? Also I had a plow that I used to plow with in this same jeep, would this harness be able to cover it or would I have to splice into something?
Unread 02-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
chuckie

it looks like that ez one is an all purpose kit... so you can wire 21 things up, since this is a jeep, you could use the circuit for the power windows to run power to your plow... im no electrician though
Unread 02-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Cannonball
1996 CJ5 

Before I would toss out cash for a painless I would take the factory harness out and lay ot out on the floor. Clean it up and then do a quality repair with new wire, soldered and heat shrunk splices, and new split loom covering. By laying out on the floor it is easy to work with and see. Any connector can be dissasseblled cleaned and reassembled. You will have a new harness that can be plugged back into the existing firewall bulkhead connector and everythign will be good. If you need to do the same to the rest of the harness then do so. sure you have to take it out but you have to do this with the painless too. I have installed the painless and was not real happy with the amount of uneeded wires in it it was a Jeep harness that covered the 6 & v-8 engines Overall i think with a little time a person can rework their old harness to provide years of service at a fraction of the cost. You also will gain a lot of mental knowlege of your wire harness for future reference if you ever need to do a trail fix on yours or a friends rig too. They are simple and easy to follow once you lay them all out.

Cannonball

1996 YJ-5 400 SB Chevy, Proflow EFI, NV4500 Trans with 6.34 low, Dynatrac HP Dana 60 Rear / Dana 44 front and 4:88 gears Featured in Sport & Utility June 1997.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

If you go through the trouble of removing a harness, then you may as well put a new one in! I would NEVER reinstall an old harness like that! I put a Painless in mine. Not exactly cheap, but it went in easily, was very well marked, and everything worked the first time with no problems.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
s.wetherald

what is the difference between the painless and the ez harness besides the price?
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
chuckie

painless is designed for your vehicle first of all, and second, at the end of every wire there is a label telling you what that wire goes to, it has everything you need, all the way down to the lightbulbs for your side markers... yeah they are pricey but well worth it in my opinion
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
it looks like that ez one is an all purpose kit... so you can wire 21 things up, since this is a jeep, you could use the circuit for the power windows to run power to your plow... im no electrician though
thats the reason i went with the 21 circuit kit. i have 5 extra "slots" on the fuse box for offroad lights, rock lights, back up light, interior lights, cb

Quote:
what is the difference between the painless and the ez harness besides the price?
i think the wires on the painless kit are precut with ends already on them so all you have to do is plug it up. but i could be wrong. tell me if im wrong plz
nichols077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
chuckie

their not cut, just labeled
Unread 02-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
kbtriumph

Go with the EZ. I put one in my CJ6 in a weekend. Painful does not sell a specific harness for the '72-'75 so it is the same as the EZ. The EZ wires are marked every 6" or so and are very easy to deal with.

The only thing that I added to the EZ kit is a Maxi Fuse instead of the fuseable link. I just hate fuseable links because you cannot tell if they are burned out and the fuse is a lot easier to replace if it blows.

I would never use a stock '72-'76 harness, it has no fuses in it and most of them are burned up from the inside out.
kbtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

x2 on what Kbtriumph said. The factory wiring in a pre-'76 CJ is by definition "Universal," so you're not going to gain anything with a "pre-cut" kit. EZ is the way to go on a universal type Jeep, in my opinion. They are priced right, and all the wires are labeled every 5", not just at the ends. I will tell you that, not only did this make installation very easy (took me a day), but it has also made working on the Jeep since that time MUCH easier than any other harness I've ever worked with because you don't have to trace any wires; just read them, and it tells you exactly what you're looking at. 12 circuit is about the absolute max that you need to go in an old CJ.
Unread 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
s.wetherald

the ez harness wont cause any problems with the ignition not on the steering colum will it?
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
kbtriumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wetherald
the ez harness wont cause any problems with the ignition not on the steering colum will it?
No problem. It will work either way just fine.
kbtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.