Wiring Harness? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring Harness?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
noy2014
1986 CJ7 

Wiring Harness?

I bought the Painless wiring harness for my '86. Nice set, but I didn't expect that the engine wiring would not included. I looked thought the various catalogs, but didn't see any such product even exist. Does any company product the harness set for the engine?

Particularly the harness that connects to the onboard computer?

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
huntersdad

1985 CJ8 

Wow. I would have sworn I had seen the engine wiring harness 100 times. I just googled it for the last 20 minutes and the only place that mentioned it was lectric.com and they say it is unavailable. Wish I could help.

Tim Hamilton

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
huntersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
noy2014
1986 CJ7 

They don't even have it. How is this possible that nobody offered this product? Are the engine electrical configuration all that different from each other?
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

I installed the Painless "Factory" wiring harness in my '84 three years ago and was quite annoyed that they didn't include the engine harness. For folks who don't have to, or choose not to, worry about the smog equipment, the "factory" kit does in fact work. When I called Painless, their response was "most people disconnect all that crap." For me, I was living in Cali at the time and disconnecting the smog circuitry was not an option. It took me several days of chasing the various circuits in my engine bay and figure out how to integrate it with the Painless kit. In the end, it was anything but painless...
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Is the Centech setup any better?

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

I think they're similar. Some folks seem to prefer one over the other. I went with Painless because I needed to replace my fuse box (primary reason for the re-wire) and wanted to stick with the OEM bulkhead design. From what I remember of my research prior to purchasing, neither really addresses the ECM.
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.