Wiring guru troubleshoot Ign. w/diagram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring guru troubleshoot Ign. w/diagram

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Wiring guru troubleshoot Ign. w/diagram

1977 Jeep W/360 , wired exactly as shown , voltage readings noted . Swapped motorcraft ignition to replace prestolite. Also swapped in Delco alternator in place of original. Used 2 different wiring diagrams and tried to fuse them together with mixed results. Jeep runs fine. Alternator wont charge. I can see where the resistors and diodes are sucking power from the excite wire as well as the coil and starter solenoid . My overwhelming concern is how not to toast the ignition system while putting enough juice to the alternator to "Start" it. Why is the resistor pot needed with this setup. is the diode backwards? the mark on the diode is "as shown on diagram". what to do to get 12 volts to the alternator without burning up ignition. I feel that I'm close but as of yet, No Cigar. where am I wrong and how do I correct it?

alternator-wiring.jpg  
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

The coil is stock replacement , I think, It looks similar to the one on my old 77' 304 except it has a horseshoe gizmo on to that detaches.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.