Wiring diagram for 77 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiring diagram for 77 CJ5

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
spankyway

Wiring diagram for 77 CJ5

I am trying to figure my wiring in my 77 CJ5, does anyone have a schematic? I am going to buy a CJ5 manual, I just don't have it yet and I need to look at the wiring soon.

spankyway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
T18A
1977 CJ5 

----------

Last edited by T18A; 05-16-2008 at 01:43 AM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Here is one for a 79
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...opic.php?t=875
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Here are some scanned images form my large 1976 wiring diagram. Both the six cylinder and 8 cylinder are on the same print, so look carefully at the diagram. The 1976 should be close to the 1975.

I scanned the first page twice to make sure you had enough overlap to be able to put these pages together for one large print.

Jim
cj7-wiring-diagram-1a.jpg   cj7-wiring-diagram-1b.jpg   cj7-wiring-diagram-2a.jpg   cj7-wiring-diagram-3a.jpg  
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
spankyway

I am looking particularly for the under dash diagram. The PO jacked up the wiring, unplugged the steering colum and hacked into the wiring. Then he used all red wire to do his "rewiring"! Makes it kinda' hard to figure out what has been done. I have a used harness I bought from CJinPA that I want to put in so I can check my guages and everything else the PO butchered.
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
dmask0
1977 CJ5 

i don't have access to a scanner so i can't post one, but wanted to warn you that the 77 engine wiring is different from the 76 and the 78. not sure about the dash.
dmask0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmask0
i don't have access to a scanner so i can't post one, but wanted to warn you that the 77 engine wiring is different from the 76 and the 78. not sure about the dash.

My Chiltons Jeep manual shows the same wiring diagram for the CJ from 1976-1979.

Jim
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
dmask0
1977 CJ5 

the haynes manual has different schematics, and the '77 is different than the '78 (i'm in the process of moving ignition and alternator from '78 304 to my '77 304).

EDIT: some of the years might be similar enough to combine into one drawing, but '77 probably shouldn't be one of those.

EDIT #2: and looking at your wiring diagram, the '78 doesn't have the external voltage regulator and it has slightly different alternator-to-dash and alternator-to-ignition-pack. Junk Yard Genius has a good write up for moving ignition/alternator/distributor/etc from '78 and later over to a '77 to eliminate duraspark components and the external VR. just FYI.
dmask0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Jobhater
1961 CJ6 

The autozone website has wiring guides for many of the years.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Jobhater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmask0
the haynes manual has different schematics, and the '77 is different than the '78 (i'm in the process of moving ignition and alternator from '78 304 to my '77 304).

EDIT: some of the years might be similar enough to combine into one drawing, but '77 probably shouldn't be one of those.

EDIT #2: and looking at your wiring diagram, the '78 doesn't have the external voltage regulator and it has slightly different alternator-to-dash and alternator-to-ignition-pack. Junk Yard Genius has a good write up for moving ignition/alternator/distributor/etc from '78 and later over to a '77 to eliminate duraspark components and the external VR. just FYI.
OK, that's good info. I have only worked on my 76, so I am sure there are some ignition and alternator changes. My 76 had the Prestolite ignition ( not anymore, fuel injected now), and I know later on they switched to the Motorcraft/Duraspark on the 360, maybe on the 304 also.

Hopefully the dash wiring can help spankyway rewire his dash. I do not have a 77 schematic, the 76 schematic is right out of the Jeep Factory manual for 1976, I do have the Chiltons manual also, but have not compared both side by side, although Chiltons does have one schematic for 76-79, so they must be close other than the alternator and iginition module.

Jim
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
spankyway

The Autozone schematics were exactly what I needed! Thanks.
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Jobhater
1961 CJ6 

No problem. Like you, I spent days trying to find them for my '76 CJ5 in several forums and everything. Didn't really get too much help. Then, several days later, I was checking prices on their website and found the schematics. Immediately went into my favorites.
Jobhater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.