Wiring Assistance Please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Austy12345
1984 CJ7 

Wiring Assistance Please

Alright I have been searching for a few days now on jeepforum and other forums as well to no avail.

Im trying to figure out what wiring I need from my original 84 set up. Because I miss placed my computer from under the dash. I have all the wiring though uncut. So can I just eliminate that part of the harness as i believe its mostly emission stuff. My Cj has 0 emissions equipment and I can Start the SBC 327 with one wire and jumping the starter. My goal is to have it start by key and run as factory Jeep.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 PM
DoubleDown
1983 CJ7 

Search Nutter Bypass, if you do that, you won't need the computer.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Austy12345
1984 CJ7 

Everything I have found on the nutter has just been about sniping the purple and orange wires and rewiring them. What about the rest of the wires?

post #4 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

If you have a sbc the nutter wont do you anygood as you are not using the ecm, bbd carb or the Ford dist. You dont need the icm. You have a hei in it now?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
1983 CJ7 

post #6 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wait, do you have the SBC in place now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Austy12345
1984 CJ7 

Yeah I have the SBC in now with MSD HEI I can start it, I haven't started it with the key tho. I am mainly just trying to figure out what the other wires do in that ECM harness. I thought I read that some of the charging system was ran through that harness and some of the ignition wiring as well. If that was the case Im not sure how to go about reconfiguring it to work without the ECM itself. I lost the ECM and don't really wanna buy a new if i don't have to. I have looked at the service manual a few times and it just goes over my head for some reason. Will it just better to not even put that part of the harness in and wire the charging system my self or will that cause problems with the rest of the main harness?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Austy12345
1984 CJ7 

Ok so I dug a little deeper really tying to get this figured out. So i just started chasing wires and using this first picture that John posted in a different thread to see what was what and if it could be hooked up yet.
I kinda figured some of it out but I got a question on a few things now

First is in this picture. I figured that the top left wires go to the alternator. But where does the one closest to my hand go? battery? comes from EY

Second the light blue to the starter if I'm not mistaken. Where does the Red one go? I assume the starter as well? Red wire is split from BW
I know its fried I gotta fix

Let me know what you all think
post #9 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 PM
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

The light blue goes to the neutral safety switch (which is jumpered out in a manual trans), then to the ignition switch. The red wire goes to ground.

Those two wires hook to the small terminals on the starter relay, which provides a low current switch to activate the high current starter motor circuit. The big terminals on the starter relay come from the battery and go to the starter motor.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austy12345 View Post
Ok so I dug a little deeper really tying to get this figured out. So i just started chasing wires and using this first picture that John posted in a different thread to see what was what and if it could be hooked up yet.
I kinda figured some of it out but I got a question on a few things now

First is in this picture. I figured that the top left wires go to the alternator. But where does the one closest to my hand go? battery? comes from EY
The upper left goes to the alternator as does the lower left one also goes to the alternator. Not sure what alternator you are running on the SBC. The small skinny wire is a resistance wire to sense the voltage to control the output of the alternator. It will probably need to be lengthened to reach the battery terminal on the starter on the SBC. Some CJ's run this wire to the Ignition coil, Some run this wire to the fuse box, some run this wire to the battery.

Are you saying the big heavy wire goes to EY?
Is the small wire connected to the large heavy wire?

IF they are joined together. then I would say the big ring terminal would go to the battery side of the starter solenoid and is used to feed power to the rest of the electrical system however it seems much larger than normal.

Here is a schematic showing both connectors:

You can see EY is the main feed to the fuse box.

Quote:
Second the light blue to the starter if I'm not mistaken. Where does the Red one go? I assume the starter as well? Red wire is split from BW
I know its fried I gotta fix

Let me know what you all think
Yes the blue wire is for the starter. In the earlier CJ's they ran to a NSS in the column that was jumpered if a manual tranny is used. In latter CJ's the NSS is in the tranny and a special starter solenoid was used for automatic trannies.

The red wire is for bypassing the resistance wire on a Ford ignition. On an HEI setup you don't need this wire at all.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 03:12 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

My list for your Chevy

Basic:
BW---Power for ignition. If used then tach will work unless it's was originally a 6cyl tach
AY--- Starter solenoid to crank engine
EY--- Power to all electrical system. Goes to battery side of starter solenoid.

AW---Temperature Sensor
BZ--- Oil Pressure sensor

ET --- Low Beams
EV --- High Beams
FU --- Parking Lights
ES --- Left Turn Signal
FV --- Right Turn Signal

CZ --- Power for Back up lights. TO Back up switch on Tranny
DZ --- To back up lights FROM back up switch on tranny

BS ---|
BU ---|--- Brake failure Warning light

EZ --- 4WD Engaged Light

CY --- Blower motoro for HEater

DS --- Washer Pump

post #12 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 AM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

This diagram of the original ignition setup may help you out a bit.

You are looking to connect the red with tracer wire from pin 13 to the HEI (BW on your diagram, but says Red when it is more likely red with tracer). This is the live ignition feed in Start and Run. On the engine bay side you need to take out the resistir wire and run that red with tracer all the way out to the HEI module. You can then remove 13A as you probably do not have the elctric choke or carb solenoid conneted.

There is a seperet light blue wire that runs from the ignition switch to the S tab on the solenoid (AY or AX?). You can cut out the other Light Blue that ran to the ICM.

You do not need to then connect anything to the I tab on the Solenoid as you already have 12v in Start along the red with tracer wire from the switch.

All the other wiring and components in this diagram are surplus, as well as the computer connection to the ICM.

Hope this helps. two wires from the ignition switch is all you need to get the motor started.
Attached Thumbnails
schematic ignition layout.png  

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #13 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Austy12345
1984 CJ7 

Awesome Thank You thats help a bunch. I will see what i can get done after dinner and post back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.