Wires to gas gauge - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wires to gas gauge

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojeep View Post
Like the title from the old tv show 8 might be plenty. Thought about it at work today, having a 'glass body, would it be a good idea to have a separate ground wire on the dash panel? Maybe I'll run a wire anyway after all it won't hurt will it? If not that means I get to drop the tank again. An old factory saying is coming to my head now. "We do it nice we do it twice" Thoughts?
it's like the 55 MPH speed limit. It's not only a good idea, It's the law....

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojeep View Post
After a separate ground wire from the tank to the cross member[ flapwheeled to bare metal] and secured tightly still not reading.Further inspection of the wires to the gauge revealed to me that the pink and red wire got put on the wrong terminals. Doing that with a dim light [cause thats all i had]in the drop light. Tonight i used a led flashlight and made this awesome discovery. What kind of ultra fantastic damage have I done now? Quickly approaching the screwit mode.
50-50 chance it might recover.

You could of burnt up your gauges AND sensors.

Just do a resistance test again and see how they fared.
If they are OK chances are they will recover.
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

Ok John. Clue me on the resistance test as I'm not sure what you mean.
boojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

its outlined in one of the links in my signature.

there are some resistance test you can do on the gauge and some you do on the sending unit.
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

Oh yeah those links. With 3" in the tank, yeah I measured, approximately where should the gauge indicate approximately?
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

Tonight I decided to verify that the gas gauge really does work before i re install the tank again. ran a jumper ground from the battery to the ground on the the tank. Ok. Put the test light on the S terminal and the gauge works. Take the test light off the terminal and it doesn't work. I'm confused now. A stupid easy fix or something I can't see. Some help is needed here please. TIA.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.