Wire wheel and flap disc help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wire wheel and flap disc help

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Wire wheel and flap disc help

I bought some more tools! YEAH!! These are the tools I am using to strip my CJ5 frame... the same mess in this thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/be...-paint-774919/

From left to right-
The first wire wheel is called a crimped wheel.
The second wheel is a braided wheel.
Then the 120 grit flapdisc.

I have already used up a braided wheel. I saw the crimped wheel and wondered how it would work for stripping or scuffiing. I have never used a flapdisc. I would like to hear your experiences with these tools, and the proper applications. I have only used a braided wheel on the frame.

Thanks in advance.

img_3009.jpg  

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Flap disc will get you the best possible results...bare metal.

Just put the flap disc on the angle grinder and start going at it. Nothing special and definitely not rocket science.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

A flap disk in 80 grit will get you the best results for stripping. The crimped one us on rust the braided one is a little hard to control.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

The first one is a waist of time and the flap disk will take to much metal with it. A "twisted knot cup brush" the one in the center is what you want to use. Just throw it on your 4 1/2" grinder and go to town. If you have axcess to a 9" grinder and a 6" cup brush you can save some time. It will be dirty and dusty, best to do it outside.
Rattyflatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I've always had the best luck with the straight 4.5" knot wire wheels on my angle grinder. They last longer and really strip things fast, then you can follow up with a 80-120 flapper disk to clean up any pitting. Plan on using 3-4 of them to strip a complete frame. I used one of these $5 ones from Harbor Freight and got through about a 1/3rd of my frame. I went to Farm & Fleet and bought their equivalent brush for $13 and it didn't last even half as long. If I remember correctly it took the one from HF and three from F&F to finish my frame. I wish I had just bought ten of the HF wheels right from the start, I did buy six more the next time I went back. I think I have two left. These wire wheels and my welder are the two HF tools I will back all day long.

Last edited by Coiz; 05-21-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Whatever way you remove the rust and paint you need to keep the dust from it out of your lungs.

Have any of you guys seen or used these? TP Tools® Air-Operated Paint & Rust Eater - TP Tools & Equipment
tp-3070-rust-eater_r.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Flap disc will get you the best possible results...bare metal.

Just put the flap disc on the angle grinder and start going at it. Nothing special and definitely not rocket science.
My flap disc is 120 grit. I went conservative, but after using it tonight I think I will go more aggressive. You're right, bare metal and pretty dang quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
A flap disk in 80 grit will get you the best results for stripping. The crimped one us on rust the braided one is a little hard to control.
Yeah... the braided one likes to "walk" around. I am on my second one. I don't like how it smears through the old undercoating, but it's good for getting all the loose stuff off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattyflatty View Post
The first one is a waist of time and the flap disk will take to much metal with it. A "twisted knot cup brush" the one in the center is what you want to use. Just throw it on your 4 1/2" grinder and go to town. If you have axcess to a 9" grinder and a 6" cup brush you can save some time. It will be dirty and dusty, best to do it outside.
It made a mess all over my shop floor. Tomorrow, it is outside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I've always had the best luck with the straight 4.5" knot wire wheels on my angle grinder. They last longer and really strip things fast, then you can follow up with a 80-120 flapper disk to clean up any pitting. Plan on using 3-4 of them to strip a complete frame. I used one of these $5 ones from Harbor Freight and got through about a 1/3rd of my frame. I went to Farm & Fleet and bought their equivalent brush for $13 and it didn't last even half as long. If I remember correctly it took the one from HF and three from F&F to finish my frame. I wish I had just bought ten of the HF wheels right from the start, I did buy six more the next time I went back. I think I have two left. These wire wheels and my welder are the two HF tools I will back all day long.
I looked at those at Lowe's this afternoon. I didn't buy one as I didn't know anything about them. I imagine control would be much better. I'll pick one up. I have a lot to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Whatever way you remove the rust and paint you need to keep the dust from it out of your lungs.

Have any of you guys seen or used these? TP Tools® Air-Operated Paint & Rust Eater - TP Tools & Equipment
I haven't tried them. To me it's a little pricey, but it looks like good stuff.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

Don't forget safety glasses, wire in the eye is bad.
Rattyflatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
1983 CJ7 

I use the same wire wheel as Coiz and buy them at Harbor Freight, about 4.99 apiece. They seem to last quite a while and if I remember correctly, I on only used 4-5 on my frame.

I take the guard off my angle grinder when i use the the wire wheel but I wear a shield too. Still dig wires out of my skin and clothes though.

For the flap discs, I like to use 36 grit, the finer grits load up with paint and don't cut as well.
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Yep, have had a wire in my eye...got lucky!

Had a wire or two in my balls, have not tried a cup but it might be worthwhile
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the tip... got that covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I use the same wire wheel as Coiz and buy them at Harbor Freight, about 4.99 apiece. They seem to last quite a while and if I remember correctly, I on only used 4-5 on my frame.

I take the guard off my angle grinder when i use the the wire wheel but I wear a shield too. Still dig wires out of my skin and clothes though.

For the flap discs, I like to use 36 grit, the finer grits load up with paint and don't cut as well.
HF in Valdosta... wifey says she'll go up there and get the wire wheels for me. I've followed your thread so I know that you know what you're talking about, but 36 grit in a flapdisc sure seems real aggressive! I agree that the fine stuff loads up... I experienced that tonight, but I don't want to remove too much. Is 36 the best route? I have completed half of the frame with the braided cup wheel. It removes the loose stuff, but then it kind of polishes everything. Should I take the flapdisc behind it? How do I get the gummy undercoating off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Yep, have had a wire in my eye...got lucky!

Had a wire or two in my balls, have not tried a cup but it might be worthwhile
It's a CUP wheel. Next time, wear pants!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

I got an '85 CJ7 that was a plow jeep in Alaska, and after spending 8 hours with a sand blaster, 4 hours with a wire sponge wheel and 30 minutes with hand sand paper, I was ready to throw the brackets out. Then I was in sears, saw a flap disc and got it because I was desperate. It worked wonders, got through everything quickly.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
SinCityCJ
1986 CJ7 

On top of the eye protection you'll want to wear some type of mask. Breathing that crap in is no good for the lungs.
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
CJATE

Looking at them in the store, I thought flapper discs were a joke. Buddy convinced me to try them.

All I use now. I tossed all my other clean up and grinding disks. Only cut off wheels and flapper discs. HF will run specials and sell the 60G in packs of 3 for 5 bucks or so. The name brand ones are better and last longer, but they are not 450% better.

I use to remove paint
Grind welds flush
Take down mettle
Ect…
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

my family and i used the flap discs on some angle grinders to do the entire body on my 5, worked like a charm and only took about 2 days working on and off. I can't give my results for the frame, we sandblasted that. The braided wheel worked extremely well on the underside of the tub to get excess dirt and stuff off.
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.