Wire clean up and no high idle at cold start up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wire clean up and no high idle at cold start up.

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wire clean up and no high idle at cold start up.

Well, cleaned up a lot of stuff in the bay. Almost time to clean up all of the oil that spilled from the cap (Even with new cap it still kinda leaks from time to time, she's closed as tight as it can get) and valves on the cover.
Ditched all of the vacuum hoses except for the recommended that was shown earlier in the thread. Loomed most of the stray wires and plugs that were not needed including the O2 sensor plug.

I still need to get to the pass. side and clean up stray wires/plugs as well.

I came across a few parts I wasn't sure about, useage or if they're needed.
1: CTS, I unpluged it when the engine was warm and nothing happened. This as I've read is an indication that the sensor is no good. I was curious, should I replace the sensor or can I just unplug it and tuck it away? (I'm hiding everything I don't need to make the bay look better/cleaner)

2: In the pic, I have a picture of a push on plug/boot. I unplugged it and nothing happened to the idle. Not sure if it deals with something on the inside of the cab or not. So, what is this and do I need it?

Also, the orange wire. What is that? It's dark and couldn't see what it went to.

3: Not a clue what this 90degree plug/boot is. Is it needed? This a ground?

Again, thanks for your guys' help. My engine bay is starting to look decent.

PS. I haven't had much of a choke for as long as I can remember when starting the jeep cold. It would take me a try or two to get her running and even then it'd be hard to keep her going. I've read that there's a screw just below and behind the choke that adjust the high idle for the jeep. It's almost next door to the screw to adjust the idle. (Its the only screw I found anyway.)

Simple enough, well I adjusted it clockwise to speed things up but I got nothing. I countered it and still got nothing. It stays the same either which way I go.

Does the location for the choke screw sound correct? There's only one wire going to the spade on the weber choke.

By the way, its a 32/36.

Thanks, I may just go with a manual choke, but either way, I would like a decent warm up.

Zane Neher
88 YJ. H.O. 4.0L/AW4/twin sticked d300/1 tons/38.5s.
Swampwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
petey156
1977 CJ5 

#3 is the water temp sending unit. when you unplug it your guage should flat line
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

The orange wire looks to be something a PO ran to pick up power for something else. Doesn't look to be factory as the wire would be secured as it ran past the backet.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Both look to be keepers then.
Thanks guys.

Zane Neher
Unread 03-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

#1 pic :

orange wire = intake manifold heater

the plug is the manifold heater switch that turns the manifold heater relay off when the engine comes up to temp

Last edited by ctm; 03-23-2008 at 01:44 PM..
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nuttered, cleaned up the oil in and around the engine, cleaned and stuffed wiring, tuned the carb, new PCV stuff, oil cap, new vacuum hoses and routes, set the timing at 9 BDTC..

Two things:
I now get tapping/ticking on acceleration and it seems to go away once the engine is warm. I had it before, but didnt seem as bad when cold. I may have just gotten use to it and just started to pay attention because of the focus in that area. I know of a few things that are known to cause this, Manifolds, stuck lifter, just because it does, ect. I was wondering if my timing affected it or if I may now need a higher octane.

I cleaned the oil on the valve cover, and everywhere else there was oil. Purple Power works awesome, FYI..
On my drive home, I lifted the hood to admire the cleanliness and noticed the oil coming from my oil cap. It's new because my latter did not have a gasket. But, it doesn't appear to matter anyhow. I checked google to see if anyone remedied this or if there was an upgrade cap, but doesn't appear to be either.

Just two new minor problems I've come to notice.
Other than that, Team Rush is now in order.. And Hydro assit..

Zane Neher
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
happydog
1984 CJ7 

Do you still have the PCV valve hooked up to a vacuum source? It sounds like you may not and the blow-by from the engine is causing the oil to come from the cap. You need the PCV on these engines.

"After all, it is the slave who thinks himself a free man who makes the best slave." (Unknown)

“A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood”. Chinese Proverb
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

Concur. I first got my jeep, I thought the motor was old and worn out, history, necessary to replace. A PROPERLY OPERATING and routed PCV system changed everything. Even on my old 75. Way, way more important than most folks realize. Impossible to get an engine in proper tune with out it.
crusty75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I still have the valve and breather on the jeep.

The only time it really seems to leak is when I get on it and get off angle.

Zane Neher
Unread 03-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Swampwalker3
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, still can't get a high idle to warm up my jeep. Turn key and she'll start if I keep giving her gas. After a few seconds, I'll let off and she'll idle at almost nothing, sounding like a tractor. Most of the times she'll die, usually when I walk away to gather stuff.

I changed and rerouted my vacuum lines to the bare minimal when I nuttered and a buddy set my timing at 8 BTDC. I also set my two idles to par according to REDLINE. After she's warm abit, she'll run decent. Only problem I have with this is the ticking when I accellerate.

Thinking about converting to manual idle
Thanks.

Zane Neher
Unread 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

are you possitive that the choke does have power going to it???And do you have a feul pressure regulator and return line on the carb..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.