Wiper troubleshooting question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiper troubleshooting question

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
cw05
1984 CJ7 

Wiper troubleshooting question

My wipers in my '84 CJ7 have stopped working on all speeds but the fastest (i.e. no intermittent or slow speed). I was driving along in a rainstorm and I smelled a burning smell and then the wipers quit (were on slow speed). I then clicked the switch off and then back on only to find that they now only work in the fastest setting. As I mentioned previously, I have the intermittent wiper option so there is a black plastic box (I've heard it called both the "wiper governor" and the "wiper modulator"...is a black box with the AMC logo and part #3728007 on the side of it) with wires running to the dash switch and to the wiper motor. I tried replacing the wiper dash switch and this did not fix the problem. Is the wiper governor that I described above the culprit? Anyone else experienced this problem? Anyone know where to get this part other than the Jeep dealer (who by the way wants $151 for the part which is non-returnable if it turns out to not to fix the problem.) Thanks in advance for your opinions and time.

cw05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Check ebay for guys selling the intermittant wiper setup on the cheap. Before i spent 150 bucks on this, i'd do that or consider going to the cheap 2 speed setup that most CJ's have.
Unread 06-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
cw05
1984 CJ7 

Also, tried replacing the wiper motor too

I failed to mention that I tried replacing the wiper motor too just in case that could have been the culprit. Again, the wipers only worked on the highest speed...which has lead me the the present point of the "wiper governor". I just want to make sure this time that I replace the right part as I'm tired of driving back and forth to the 4wd store and don't want to purchase a $151 part that is non-returnable if it turns out not to fix the problem.
cw05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
cj7-Robert

it seems as though these intermittent govenors are made of gold... A box full of diodes, 8 wires and 2 plugs.
cj7-Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Mine is an 84' and the box says ford on it. I also have one in my 88' gmc that looks exactly the same. It would seem to me that it is a generic part that fits many vehicles.
I would go to a junkyard and see what they say.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.