Wiper Motor Wires for a CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wiper Motor Wires for a CJ7

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-25-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
redneck949

HELP!!!! Wiring on a CJ7

I have a 63 CJ5 that I just put an 83 CJ7 windshield frame on, I went to wire my wipers (that I'm going to run with a toggle switch) and all the wiring diagrams I have just show wires coming out of the motor and into the Wiper switch.

What I need to know is where do the four colors go. I.E. which one gets power with the key on, which one is hi, low, etc. Is there a ground wire or does the motor ground through its mount? I have 4 wires, Blue, Green, Red, and Black. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Redneck949

55 frame, 63 Tub, D44 with full floater kit in the rear, Lock Rights and 5.38's, spring over, shackle reversal, 36" Old School Military Hummer Tires

Last edited by redneck949; 08-25-2004 at 11:50 PM..
redneck949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck949
I have a 63 CJ5 that I just put an 83 CJ7 windshield frame on, I went to wire my wipers (that I'm going to run with a toggle switch) and all the wiring diagrams I have just show wires coming out of the motor and into the Wiper switch.

What I need to know is where do the four colors go. I.E. which one gets power with the key on, which one is hi, low, etc. Is there a ground wire or does the motor ground through its mount? I have 4 wires, Blue, Green, Red, and Black. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Redneck949

55 frame, 63 Tub, D44 with full floater kit in the rear, Lock Rights and 5.38's, spring over, shackle reversal, 36" Old School Military Hummer Tires
Don't know if this will help, but:

83 Jeep Chassis Diagram

I figure you can take that schematic and put a DVM to it to see which wire relates to which motor speed. Black is obviously ground.
Unread 08-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
Jeepbeeper

I dont know the exact color code for your vehicle or where they connect..
but if it is a 3 speed motor,
Normally,
1. BLACK is ground
2. Blue is one speed.
3. RED is another speed
4. GREEN is another speed.
What I did once was to throw the black to ground, and connect one of the other color wires to the wiper...
(normally..i dont understand that there isnt a connection plug
that has 3 or 4 male pins..in it to the wiper motor...but anyway):
Figure out first what number of speeds the old vehicle the motor came off of...this will let you know if it is actually a 3 speed motor.
You may have to worry that your wiper switch in your vechile only goes to low and high speeds with one off . (Off/Low/High).
OK>.. run black to ground..(have a few extra fuses around.)..
grab the green wire and put it on a fuse side //left or right of the fuse..and be sure the fuse you are using will go dead when you
shut off your ignition key..(never want active wires when vechicle is off). I would suggest you find the HOT side of the fuse in your vechicle by taking the fuse out, turn your key to RUN, and go down and meter one side of the fuse post at a time...find out what SIDE the fuse holder is hot...the other will be dead...ITS THE DEAD SIDE YOU STICK YOUR new wiper wire to..this way..the wiper motor can use the existing fuse..and it will blow if the wire to the wiper motor shorts somewhere along the way past the fuse connection you are bout to make....or you can put a fuse INLINE in that wire, and wont have to do the above test..
both will work..so lets get on with this:::::::::

Turn key switch to run....(not start), and turn on your wiper to low...then to high..if it works ,,then you have found either the low or high speed side of the wiper motor...
Do the same for each wire.
I would suggest to have the motor wires connect to at LEAST a
25 amp fuse... your manual may say 30 amp.. if so..seek out a 30 amp fuse to test these wires on..\worse you can do is pop a fuse.
But if your fuse box has a fuse labled WIPER...you can possibly use that fuse.
Now..you should be able to wire up at least 2 of the wires on the wiper motor to the existing connection that fed your previous wiper motor..then just pick out the low and high feeds to the wiper motor..that is all you really should need...less u have intermitent wiper wire..you can wire that direct with an inline fuse to an appropriate fuse rated for that wire...and following the above possible wiring suggestions.
Protect your circuits..use fuses..and NEVER wire anything direct to fuse box without an inline fuse.
Worst thing is popping fuses...but it's a way to troubleshoot the back yard mechanic way.
P.s . looks like one of the wires is for the PUSH to squirt water...
so it looks like from that schematic...you have a high/low/water
switch... so it should be simple.... lemme know if you have intermitant side ok..
Keep on Jeep'n

Last edited by Jeepbeeper; 08-26-2004 at 06:27 PM..
Jeepbeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 04:58 AM   #4
redneck949

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate all of the info. What I ended up doing since I wanted to run a toggle switch is this:

1. The toggle switch is double throw, with a Hi, Low and Off position in the center terminal.

2. Powered up the center of the toggle switch and connected the Red wire to one side and the green to the other terminal on the toggle switch.

3. The other two wires are taped off and folded over. Believe it or not the Black wire is not a ground wire, the motor grounds through its mount. I believe the black wire is designed to be the power wire with Key on wire if you are using a stock Wiper switch.

4. The blue wire is the NEUTRAL Wire that leaves power to the wipers after you turn them off to return them to the down position so they aren't stuck in your face.

5. Since I'm running a toggle switch I don't need the blue wire and the black power all the time wire is circumvented with my power with key on wire running to the center terminal of the toggle switch from my fuse block.

Anyways, I really do appreciate all the info you provided and thanks for providing the detailed responses.

By the way, I love these little products so I endorse the heck out of them. You can pick up an ATO style fuse block that allows you to power up a stud at the bottom of the fuse block. This power wire comes from the ignition switch, hot with the key on, and powers up the inside rows of the fuse block. Then once you stick a fuse in, the spade adjacent to the fuse is hot with the key on. I hate wiring and these things make my life so much easier...you should be able to pick them up at the local auto parts store.

Thanks again and enjoy the trails!!

Redneck949
redneck949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Jeepbeeper

just a suggestion..
YOU will need that water squirter button installed..to that
windsheild wiper reservour!
Nothing like smeering mud all over your windsheild and blocking your vision completely..
Just run the hot side of that water motor to a push switch on your dash somewhere...
It would be a great safety thing ot have..
I know..in my chevy i ran off the trail into a ditch one summer because i ran my wiper set up, and smeared mud all over my windsheild and about crapped when i hit the ditch.
be safe.. do it right.. and
keep on jeep'n
Jeepbeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.