Winter Storage Ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Winter Storage Ideas?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
ckhoke
1980 CJ7 

Winter Storage Ideas?

Hey guys! So i live up in Upper Michigan where we get over 6ft of snow in the winter and have a problem....i have no place to store my 1968 Jeep CJ5 that i purchased this past july.

Im a poor college student and live with my parents at the moment who will only allow me to park the jeep on some property we own next to our house. We have a garage but it is not heated and is occupyed by my mom's blazer and my Kia (my daily driver). I would really like to work on it during the winter too, but am at a loss of how i would be able to. I have thought of building/buying a shed to store it in and just put a space heater in it to provide warmth.

Does anyone have any idea of where i could purchase a cheap storage space or make one myself?

Or do you have any other alternative ideas for shelter to work on it in the winter time?
All input is welcome and greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ckhoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8624_200148624

park your jeep in here while away, and keep it sheltered.

park your kia in there while working on your jeep in the garage!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
drewguere

That thing is a great price.

I was just going to suggest storing it at a storage facility, renting one of those little garage things they have, but thats going to be a lot more expensive.

To be honest, that garage in a box thing is probably the best idea, and its a great price
drewguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
drewguere

The only thing I would worry about is the weight of the snow on top of that thing, I dont know how rugged they are
drewguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
huntin cj
1984 CJ7 

We have a portable garage up in Northern Maine that we keep the snowmobiles in. Its not the same style, but it holds up to the snow. A good deal of the snow falls off, but at times it doesn't hurt to clean it off if there is a good deal of accumulation on it. I have heard of them collapsing if they aren't looked after.
huntin cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The guys around here use PVC tubing & fittings and those big blue tarps you use for silos and stuff. Seems to work pretty good for tractors and stuff in the winter.
Bow long pieces of PVC over the top for a dome and use 'T' fittings to secure them in...

I always wondered how they kept them from blowing away, but the guys here run a board under where the tires sit, and attach the ground PVC frame to that...
Pretty good thinking on their part!
Would give you someplace to throw down a sheet of plywood to work under the vehicle also....

I built my first two cars in rental storage units. What a PAIN! Glad I never have to do that again! Hard to find one with electricity also...

Add in the news paper works, ask for rental garage space for storage and winter maintenance of summer vehicle. (that way you are covered for working on the vehicle and not just storage...)
You will be surprised how many old guys will let you rent for cheap just to have someone to talk to once in a while!

For cold climate floors...
Go to goodwill or where ever and get an electric blanket.
Sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard, it will save your life on a cold concrete floor!
If you are working on the interior, you can throw it over the seats and you will soon have the interior warm enough to work,
And if you are just plain freezing your *** off, this will give you a way to get REAL warm when the fingers are freezing off!
Last time I saw one at a yard sale it was $2 and stained, but if stains bother you, you have the wrong hobby!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
ckhoke
1980 CJ7 

wow! thanks guys! these are really helpful ideas! i never thought of using the electric blanket for warmth while working on my vehicle! haha sweet! Thanks guys...
Hey how much was it to construct a hut out of a PVC for their vehicles?
ckhoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.