Winshield grab handle mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Winshield grab handle mount

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
mattp1788

Winshield grab handle mount

Have a set of jk grab handles that I want to mount on the windshield frame but when I drilled self tapping screws in the frame they just came out since the frame isn't very thick. Does anyone have any suggestions on how else I can mount these handles to the windshield frame?

mattp1788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

With the thin metal, pulling on the handles is gonna rip them out. You could try nutserts, but any force on the handle is still gonna pull it loose.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I worry that with the foldable windshield of a CJ, you might end up "warping" it when it's unsupported by a hard top. Even with a soft top I wonder if THAT is enough support for someone to put their weight into a grab handle.

If you go forward with this idea you may want to put that handle as low as practicable. Personally, I'd reconsider.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

If your self-tapping screws pull out then you're using the wrong type for the job.

For thin metal you need a short fat screw that we usually called a 'stitch screw' or 'lap screw' when I put up metal buildings ...a regular self tapping screw will generally not grab or strip easily in thinner metal.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

Something like this.

stitch-screw.jpeg
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
mattp1788

Thanks guys for the info... My ultimate goal is to be able to put spreader bars across from the windshield to the roll bar and just put a grab handle there but can't seem to find just spreader bars. Or find a complete tj roll bar and put it in!
mattp1788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp1788 View Post
Thanks guys for the info... My ultimate goal is to be able to put spreader bars across from the windshield to the roll bar and just put a grab handle there but can't seem to find just spreader bars. Or find a complete tj roll bar and put it in!
There are several sets on ePay right now.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Put a full cage in and build grab handles into the cage. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.