Windshield replacement hinges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Windshield replacement hinges

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
har99
1979 CJ7 

Windshield replacement hinges

So I order a set of replacement hinges and they came today from Quadratec, I ordered the set which were made by crown, link below. I had reviewed post about these being close to original, and had beveled holes. These have to be the poorest quality parts I have ever seen, the metal was all dented all over, and the holes were mis-aligned. I also ordered the KC light brackets that mount to the outside, after placing these over top I noticed the holes were off. It was definately the hinges as the distance from the holes to the edge was not the same on both. I wish I would have taken pictures but I already boxed them up before I decided to vent. Quadratec has allowed me to return these, thank you for that. Does anyone have any good experiences with replacement hinges? I'm looking for black ones, not to fond of the Stainless. I am looking for ones with similar quality as original with the same thickness and beveled holes?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/23002_08.htm

har99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've had probably 50 sets in my hands through the store I work at and have seen 2 or 3 that had moderate finish issues. Those same ones had slight problems with the bends, which made the holes off now allowing them to be installed without modifications. The rest all looked like the ones in Quadratec's pictures and fit just fine. I wonder if you got an old set. Perhaps they'll send you another and inspect them before they're sent out?

I compared them with Omix ones before and they (the Crown ones) were much thicker & better constructed, in my opinion.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

There will be many that agree with me on this one....to date, I don't know of ANY aftermarket companies that produce a Jeep hinge that is as good or better than the oem hinge. They are all crap in comparison. Search out and buy a good used set and call it done. Even the YJ hinges can be used if you want to drill and tap the 4 side mirror bracket holes.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Every Crown part I have purchased has been junk.

But, the last time I expressed that opinion, I got reprimanded for generalizing, so I will continue to keep a watchful eye for a quality Crown part. So far, I haven't found one.

I'll second Ed's advice....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Never figured that one out.A piece that could have been made twice as thick.They could have charged twice as much and people would have paid. Chinese should have hired a US efficiency expert
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
CSP

I have a set of takeoffs from a '79 CJ that are in very good condition that I'd let go for the cost of shipping. I even have them boxed already as someone was interested in them and flaked after they were ready to ship.

They do have some surface rust, but are in good condition otherwise. I have removed the mirror mounts and mounting bolts since the picture was taken.
wshinges.jpg  
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Davey's jeeps also has great oem used parts. Good source for hinges and the correct tapered oem bolts with backing plates, if needed.
gwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Every Crown part I have purchased has been junk.

But, the last time I expressed that opinion, I got reprimanded for generalizing, so I will continue to keep a watchful eye for a quality Crown part. So far, I haven't found one.

I'll second Ed's advice....

Matt
There are many parts both by Crown and Omix that aren't as good quality as original but also many that are exact duplicates or even better quality than original. I've personally held some Crown parts made in the USA. I see more Taiwan and china from omix. Both companies offer a warranty on all their parts. If it really is "junk" meaning inferior or defective then exercise the warranty!!!

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
james04si

1977 CJ5 

I have had pretty good luck with the crown parts I have bought so far, parking lights, lenses, washer bottle, battery tray and the like no parts that would see any real wear. That being said I went with kentrol stainless hinges over 10 years ago and they worked just fine. If you are just going black I would take someone up on the offer to send you oem ones. A little sanding and black paint and you come out cheaper than buying aftermarket ones.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
har99
1979 CJ7 

Thanks, I sent CSP a PM. Yea I have bought a few Crown items myself, replacement lamps for the heater controls, a volt guage that didnt work, heater duct, and lots of odds and ends. For as much as I'd spent I would like to think Im a partial owner of Quadratec and 4wheel parts but Im not!
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

i had the Quadratec stainless hinges and they fit and look fine.

However when you compare them to the oem it is readily apparent that the curves are radiused and not sharp and they would maybe not hav ebolted to my old windcreen surround. However I changed the surround at the same time to the Qadratech supplied and it fit fine.

I only did this as the cost of rechrome was about the same as the part, and the chroming here is almost fraudulent.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
har99
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
I have a set of takeoffs from a '79 CJ that are in very good condition that I'd let go for the cost of shipping. I even have them boxed already as someone was interested in them and flaked after they were ready to ship.

They do have some surface rust, but are in good condition otherwise. I have removed the mirror mounts and mounting bolts since the picture was taken.
Have you got my PM? Not sure if your box is full. Let me know, Thanks
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP

Thumbs up bro...... I love when people pay it forward
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
stgil
1982 CJ7 

My Aftermarket hinges are a piece of crap (OMIX ADA / RUGGED RIDGE / OUTLAND AUTOMOTIVE)

It's thinner than OEM, lot of play,...not same system hinge than OEM

Pics better than words:

OEM seems stronger and they DO!!!

Prefer OEM stamped :

So... I used them (aftermarket) to keep the template for US mirror bracket...

And remove OEM EUROPEAN mirror brackets holes (red dots)...and voilà!

another sandblasting, painting , and ready for next 30 years!

Regards,

Gilles

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.