Windshield Leaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Windshield Leaks

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-04-2002, 07:56 PM   #1
CJ7Jeff

Windshield Leaks

Okay, here is the problem. My windshield leaks around the gasket when I drive at highway speeds in the rain. I am guessing that it is the outer edge of the gasket that needs to be sealed. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you go about fixing it, or did you? I am thinking that running a bead of clear silicone around the outer edge of the gasket should fix it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:23 PM   #2
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Hmmmm.... Is there RUST under the gasket? If I were you, I would be very interested in seeing what is being hidden by the gasket. This would be a GREAT time to install a new windshield and gasket. They are very inexpensive... Collins Brothers Jeep had the glass for about $78 last week!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:49 AM   #3
CJ7Jeff

It's not rusty. I just replaced the frame last year. Made sure I had it painted up right by a body shop before I had the glass installed. I am thinking that they don't seal the gasket to the frame. I think they seal it to the glass but then they just pop it into the frame. My buddy has an 83 and it does the same thing.

Thanks
Unread 03-05-2002, 01:49 PM   #4
scrambler24

I just had my glass replaced to pass inspection and you're right, its all a snap together process for a jeep. so there is no liquid seal like most cars. The PO of my jeep had a bead of silicone all the way around the factory rubber and it didn't leak then, does now with new glass and rubber. So I guess I will repeat the silicone process
my .02
Jeff
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:37 PM   #5
K5QM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJJeep:
Okay, here is the problem. My windshield leaks around the gasket when I drive at highway speeds in the rain. I am guessing that it is the outer edge of the gasket that needs to be sealed. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you go about fixing it, or did you? I am thinking that running a bead of clear silicone around the outer edge of the gasket should fix it.

Thanks,
Jeff
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #6
K5QM

Jeff I had the same problem with my '86 CJ-7. I removed the windshield and applied windshield sealant (that you can get at any good auto parts store)to the both groves and no more leaks. Apply a small bead, about 1/8'. It will spread. If your paint is good a little 3M adhesive remover will remove any extra adsesive without any damage to the paint.
Jerry
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:44 PM   #7
tholmes3

I have used a sealant, kind of like caulk that is flexible, yet adhesive and is waterproof. I have used it on many things from rusted out roofs, hols in metal, and various other products. Another good thing is that it usually comes in a variety of colors, to lessen visibility. Gasket sealer might seem like an obvious choice, but the down side to that is it gets rock hard, though waterproof, but is hard as hell to correct a mistake with it and ro replace anything connected to it---> forget it!!!!
Unread 03-14-2002, 04:58 PM   #8
4wheeler4CJ

Hell, I was gonna tell you all the same things! LOL

Just use a good silicone around the outer edge of the gasket, smoothing it with your finger, its not much of a gap, so go very lightly.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.