JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Windshield Leaks (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/windshield-leaks-1645/)

CJ7Jeff 03-04-2002 07:56 PM

Windshield Leaks

Okay, here is the problem. My windshield leaks around the gasket when I drive at highway speeds in the rain. I am guessing that it is the outer edge of the gasket that needs to be sealed. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you go about fixing it, or did you? I am thinking that running a bead of clear silicone around the outer edge of the gasket should fix it.

Thanks,
Jeff

HighCountry 03-04-2002 08:23 PM

Hmmmm.... Is there RUST under the gasket? If I were you, I would be very interested in seeing what is being hidden by the gasket. This would be a GREAT time to install a new windshield and gasket. They are very inexpensive... Collins Brothers Jeep had the glass for about $78 last week!

Bruce

CJ7Jeff 03-05-2002 11:49 AM

It's not rusty. I just replaced the frame last year. Made sure I had it painted up right by a body shop before I had the glass installed. I am thinking that they don't seal the gasket to the frame. I think they seal it to the glass but then they just pop it into the frame. My buddy has an 83 and it does the same thing.

Thanks

scrambler24 03-05-2002 01:49 PM

I just had my glass replaced to pass inspection and you're right, its all a snap together process for a jeep. so there is no liquid seal like most cars. The PO of my jeep had a bead of silicone all the way around the factory rubber and it didn't leak then, does now with new glass and rubber. So I guess I will repeat the silicone process
my .02
Jeff

K5QM 03-08-2002 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CJJeep:
Okay, here is the problem. My windshield leaks around the gasket when I drive at highway speeds in the rain. I am guessing that it is the outer edge of the gasket that needs to be sealed. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you go about fixing it, or did you? I am thinking that running a bead of clear silicone around the outer edge of the gasket should fix it.

Thanks,
Jeff

K5QM 03-08-2002 08:45 PM

Jeff I had the same problem with my '86 CJ-7. I removed the windshield and applied windshield sealant (that you can get at any good auto parts store)to the both groves and no more leaks. Apply a small bead, about 1/8'. It will spread. If your paint is good a little 3M adhesive remover will remove any extra adsesive without any damage to the paint.
Jerry

tholmes3 03-13-2002 08:44 PM

I have used a sealant, kind of like caulk that is flexible, yet adhesive and is waterproof. I have used it on many things from rusted out roofs, hols in metal, and various other products. Another good thing is that it usually comes in a variety of colors, to lessen visibility. Gasket sealer might seem like an obvious choice, but the down side to that is it gets rock hard, though waterproof, but is hard as hell to correct a mistake with it and ro replace anything connected to it---> forget it!!!!

4wheeler4CJ 03-14-2002 04:58 PM

Hell, I was gonna tell you all the same things! LOL :D

Just use a good silicone around the outer edge of the gasket, smoothing it with your finger, its not much of a gap, so go very lightly.

The time now is 03:05 PM.