So...that's what I'm working with. I want to completely strip it down, remove as much of the rust as I can, do whatever repairs are needed then paint it black.
So, how do I get the rust removed? Well, I've researched two methods....
The molasses method...
...and the electrolysis method...
There are many other links on each one of these methods, and I anguished over which one I would try. I settled on the electrolysis method...for two main reasons. It's a little quicker, and it doesn't stink as much!
Both methods require a tank. So, yesterday, I started to build one. I finished the basic tank today...
I got a coat of primer on it tonight. I figured that I might as well prime and paint it, because I'll have to store it outside when I'm done with it. This way, it'll last longer (hopefully).
The box measures 6' x 3' x 8.5" deep. The windshield frame is 5' x 2' x 3" (approx.). Lots of glue and screws!
So...I've ordered a vinyl pond liner to line the box with. I'll set it in the box, and build a retainer out of wood to hold it in place.
Instead of using a battery charger to produce the current, I'm going to use a small DC welding machine.
This project is going to take a while, so bear with me!