Windshield frame hinge nuts broken. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Windshield frame hinge nuts broken.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Windshield frame hinge nuts broken.

I bought a windshield frame from a guy and he had a hinge on it. While removing the hinge I noticed that some of the nuts that mount inside are broken off and missing. On the passenger side there is only one but that is still there and on the drivers side all the nuts are there but there's a bolt broken off in one.

Any ideas of what I can do to fix this?

Thanks,
Alex

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Unread 05-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I had the same problem. Some of my windshield hinge nuts were stripped. When I researched the issue, a common solution was to drill out the nut, and use simple nutserts. Others would cut off the entire corner to access the inside, so that the bad nuts could be removed, and new nuts welded on.

I used a different approach. I tilted the windshield forward so that I could drill a hole just below were the hinge nuts were located. The hole was just big enough so that I could insert a new not ON TOP of the bad nut using some needlenose plyers. Then simply used a longer hinge bolt. It works, and only required minimal effort
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.