Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

windshield frame, 1981 cj5

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  chuckwag 
#1 ·
i'm new to the forum, and maybe this question has been hacked to death, i hope not.
i bought this cj in 1981, this year i did a full frame up on it, everything was in good condition but the windshield frame. its really rusty on the bottom, and needs too much work.
my question is, with the different vendors selling frames, has anyone had really good luck with there aftermarket windshield frames,
i have tried every junk yard around and have had no luck. any info would be of a great help.

#2 ·
I have heard that willys-overland sells frames that are comparable to stock and have the Re enforcing ribs like a YJ. I would recommend to stay away from OMIX. Everything that I have gotten from them has been crap.

I am currently running a YJ windshield frame on my CJ7. This would be an option for you (76 and up frames are the same for CJ5,CJ7,CJ8) if you can find one cheap. However to run a YJ windshield frame you will need the YJ wiper linkage and modify the frame to defrost like a CJ.

#3 ·
1984CJ, thanks for the info, i did notice that the pictures(jeep part info) is the same as crown, i did talk to the owner of w/o awhile back. if he buys from crown then i have local dealer.

even the jeep dealer in my area told me to stay away from OMIX. i guess my only options are the crown frames, but i'm still going to try and search for oem.

i've had great luck with finding OEM parts so far for the rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.