Winch Options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Winch Options

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 02-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

Winch Options

I have an XD9000I sitting in the garage. I also have a YJ mounting plate sitting right beside it. Now my problem is they should be sitting on my the front of my CJ. The YJ plate is about 1/2 inch too short or else I would just drill 2 new holes in the top of the frame rails and slap it on there. I have minimal experience with metal work. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue without spending a lot of cash? Or happen to have an extra plate laying around and want to send it to Savannah I will gladly take it.

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

For mounting on a CJ you need an angle bracket for each side that bolts into the side of the frame rails. The winch mount plate in turn bolts to the tops of these angle brackets. My guess is that your mount plate is too wide for a CJ because of the difference in frame rail spacing on YJ's and CJ's. I've attached a picture of a Warn 8274 winch that I recently mounted on my CJ-5. The mount plate is different from yours because of the different winch but the attachment method is the same. I enlarged the forward mount hole and drilled another hole so I could mount the tow hooks. You probably need to contact Warn or someplace like 4 Wheel Drive Hardware or 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers for the correct frame angle brackets.

Edit: I wouldn't drill hoes on the top of the frame and mount the plate to the frame rail flanges. The method of mounting as pictured is a lot more robust and ensures that you will not mangle your frame on a heavy pull.
8274-cj5.jpg  
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

According to Warn the plate itself is generic for both the CJ and YJ. Do you think I would be able to use some scrap angle iron and cut and drill it to fit?
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
flashawk
1979 CJ5 

I think I have the same mounting plate as you do, but I have a narrow track CJ. Anyway, I welded 1/4" angle iron on the outside of my frame rails and drilled holes through them to bolt the plate to. I winched several vehicles and skidded 2 cords of oak with it and it held. My welding skills leave allot to be desired, but they didn't crack.
100_0098-copy.jpg   100_0101-copy.jpg  
1979 CJ5 360 V8 w/Holley 470 Truck Avenger, HEI Ignition, Livewires w/E3 Sparkplugs, Hedman Hedders, Flowmasters, DANA 30 w/Auzzie Locker, AMC 20 limited slip "N" 3:54's, Tuff Country 2.5" lift, Rancho RS5118, Rubicon Express Quick Disconnects, Currie 1/2" lift Heavy Duty Greasable Shackles, DANA 20, T150, Mile Marker PE8000 w/MiFi Controll Box, Bestop Super Top, Warn 6 bolt Premiums, 31x10.50x15
flashawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavSilvrCJ View Post
According to Warn the plate itself is generic for both the CJ and YJ. Do you think I would be able to use some scrap angle iron and cut and drill it to fit?
I don't see why that shouldn't work. The angle brackets bolt through the 2 large holes in each side of the frame using 5/8" bolts. You have to use a piece of 1/2" pipe in the rear hole as it goes through the boxed in section of the frame. The pipe prevents the frame from being crushed when you tighten the nut and bolt down.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

Flashhawk,
No my plate does not angle in at the ends.

80cj,
I thought that would work and thanks for the advice with thepipe.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.