will yj seats bolt into a cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > will yj seats bolt into a cj

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
sphippler
1976 CJ7 

will yj seats bolt into a cj

I have a 76 cj with stock seats and they seem like they sit really high. I used to own a 82 cj with junk yard seats from a car and they seemed like they were a good heighth. The stock seats in my current jeep are about 4" higher than the junk yard seats in my old jeep. I'm 6' tall and my head almost touches the soft top, and when I stop on the line at an intersection I can't see the stop light unless I lean way forward, the top of the driver's door is eye level so I can only see the bottom half of the car parked next to me.
1) are these possibly not the stock seats
2)is this the heighth of anyone elses stock seats
3)will stock yj seats bolt up or atleast easily fabricate to fit

sphippler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

as far as I know, stock yj seats will bolt in. how high off the tub is the bottom of the seat? can you post a picture?
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. I used YJ seat risers in my CJ because they both flip forward.
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
sphippler
1976 CJ7 

the seats in my cj dont flip forward. the drivers seat adjusts forward and backwards but thats it. does this mean they are not stock?
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used risers from an '88. These were the same style as the CJs, but both flip forward.
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
wm69

Flip forward driver's seat was an option on CJ's.

Early YJ seats are the same as CJ seats, later YJ seats recline. Not sure what the transition year was, but I have Bestop seat covers on my seats and my passenger is a YJ seat. No difference at all in the CJ seats and early non-reclining YJ seats except the color/ design of the fabric (my passenger seat has the vinyl with "Jeep" all over it under the bestop cover).

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
sphippler
1976 CJ7 

I took some measurements on my seats. This is taken from the front of the seat. From the floor to the top of the frame is 8.5". Then from the back of the bottom cushion straight up to the soft top is 39". Does anyone else have stock seats that they can give me some measurements.
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

Do the seats have risers welded onto the bolts like mine did? I'm 5'10 and my knees were in the steering wheel and my head was above the windshield before I cut the risers off. They sit perfect now.
gunzmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzmcghee View Post
Do the seats have risers welded onto the bolts like mine did? I'm 5'10 and my knees were in the steering wheel and my head was above the windshield before I cut the risers off. They sit perfect now.
not sure what you mean by risers welded on to the bolts. I am 6'00" and I fit fine with my seats/risers.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

There are washer type risers slid over the bolts then welded to the frame. I'll post pix in daylight
gunzmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

I have a good pair of black vinyl Jeep seats from a late 80s YJ. They are in decent shape, couple rips on driver's side, just need a llittle cleaning up. I may be willing to do a trade for some simialr seats in tan, beige or spice color. PM me for pics if anyone is interested, thanks.

Here they are:

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.