Will a soft top and soft doors fit a slightly bent tub? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Will a soft top and soft doors fit a slightly bent tub?

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
KenSC
1979 CJ7 

Will a soft top and soft doors fit a slightly bent tub?

Just throwing this out there to see what the general consensus is. I have a '79 CJ7 purchased a few months ago. It did not come with any doors, just a bikini top. I bought a nice hard top and hard doors and while struggling to get the hard door installed on the passenger side I finally realized my door opening is short about 3/4 inch at the top of the tub door opening. The driver side door will work, but the passenger side will not. I am not sure if the tub is bent or if somone did some work to that side incorrectly.

Question is: Do you think I can buy some soft doors and a soft top and manipulate the soft door on the passenger side to fit? Could I possibly cut out some of the frame on the soft door to make it work if I have to?

The other option I am looking at is taking it to a body shop and getting an estimate to fix it. Or I could just install a different tub.

KenSC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
MemphisCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I have bestop two piece doors on an '83 CJ-7. They will adjust up and down to line up with your striker pin. That may or may not solve your problem. So if your striker pin is the correct hieght; it "should" work. Is there a local 4x4 shop around? Perhaps you could try some on. No CJ seems to be the same.

I do not have a top other than a windjammer and bikini top though. I enjoy the set up because it looks like a mini truck. Maybe that is an option for you if the top doesn't work out.
MemphisCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Check the Windshield frame. It sound like the Passanger side frame is pulled back to far. Loosen wiindshied and adjust it forward. That may solve your problem. Or if you have the top off measure from the top corners of the windshield to the back of the jeep or the roll bar and see it the measurement is the same or different. If its the same its atub issue. If it different the windshield needs to be adjusted.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
KenSC
1979 CJ7 

The door won't fit in the hole even with the windshield down. I loosened every bolt on the door hinges, and even took the bottom hinge off of the tub to make sure it wasn't in the way. When I measured from the top hinge on the tub to the top of my striker plate on the tub, the passenger side is 3/4 inch to 1 inch shorter than the driver's side. And when I flat out hold the door against the door cut out on the tub, it will not fit. The driver's side door will fit into the cutout on the driver's side.
KenSC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.