Will this soft top fit my jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Will this soft top fit my jeep?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
the-newguy

Will this soft top fit my jeep?

So Im now a proud owner of a 1977 CJ7 and it came with a hard top. Problem is im in the market for a softy so I can "take my top off" on my way to work and encase it rains ( I live in miami) i can throw her on. So I found a soft top only problem is its for different years..but will it fiit???? O.o Click the link below to to see it.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tops/Repl...n=S%2fB9970217

the-newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Probably won't fit. I'm pretty sure Chrysler changed the tub with the TJ model (which is the top your linked led to) so the tops aren't interchangeable.

You need one of the following: an OEM top (hard to come by and expensive), a YJ top (from an 87-95 jeep) or an aftermarket top designed for your year jeep (Bestop is a popular brand).

If you go the YJ route, you need to get the OEM framing and windshield surrounds to make the top work.

If you go with a Bestop, you need to get their framing. You can usually find used Bestops on craigslist for a decent price.

My $.02, but I'm sure others will chime in.
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Don't put a top on it at all and just pull the drain plugs in the floor.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

No. THAT one won't fit but there are others that do. You really do need one that is model specific.

Also, FYI, that is just the fabric part of the top. It does NOT include the frame, which you didn't say whether or not you have. This particular piece is for Jeep owners of a different year who ALREADY HAVE a soft top and need to replace the fabric.

If all you have is the hard top and want to go to a soft top, plan on spending about $800-$900. This INCLUDES the frame. My preference is BESTOP, but there are others. I like BESTOP because of the rail system it uses. It allows using their Bikini tops without modification.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

As Adman02 said that top will not fit as it is for a TJ, not to mention it is only the top no hardware. If you need everything then you need look for something that included the harware. So figure about $500 -$700 new. I have a hard top with full hard doors. I went with a used YJ top for $100. It was one designed to fit with hard doors so no door surrounds are needed. It does the job and was cheap. As you look for new tops watch the price and look, and if it says replacement it more then likey does not inclued the hardware.
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Search Craigslist. I have found complete tops with hardware for $200

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

If you live in Miami and already have a hard top, I think I'd invest the ~$1000 you would have spent for a complete new top and get a AC system instead. Parts runs just shy of $1000 from jeepair.com
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

NO, that top will NOT work.
Don't forget you need the 'hardware' for the s'top to fit also.
X2, on run'n 'top-less' with just a 'bikini' top to protect you from UV.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
the-newguy

Okay,and damn...if ANYONE has a soft top setup that will fit my 1977 let me know!
the-newguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.