Will Not Crank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Will Not Crank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
1984GreenCJ
1984 CJ7 

Will Not Crank

My jeep will not crank all of a sudden. When I turn the key the battery initially shows volts but will not turn. Then it shows 0. I replaced the battery and got the same result. The first attempt there will be a quick noise. Nothing happens on subsequent tries.

1984GreenCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
jammer1
1979 CJ7 

Check your connections for corrosion. The starter solenoid should click when the key is turned. If someone can turn the key with you standing next to it you should hear the click of the magnets. If you hear the click and still no start while the key is turned to start (have them hold the key in that position) take hold of the cable that goes from the starter solenoid (the rubber part of the cable by the solenoid) and try moving it on the solenoid post. If it moves and had corrosion you might hear the starter try to turn. Next reach down and try the other end of the cable by the starter. Be carefull of moving parts. If you have a volt meter you can check for voltage at the batt side of the solenoid then with the key turned check the other side. If you have approx. 12v keep working your way down to the starter. If the starter has 12v you need to check (clean the connection) of the cable to the starter. After that if you have the 12v at the starter you need to check for ground. Make sure the grounds are clean and you have grounds from the engine to the battery or to the frame then the frame to the battery and all connections are clean.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 03:21 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You've probably never notice before but the OEM volt gauge always goes to Zero when cranking the engine to start it running.
This is because the volt meter is tied into the ACC circuit which is disconnected when the Key is turned to the START position.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
1984GreenCJ
1984 CJ7 

New solenoid and new ignition switch and still the same issue. Any ideas? I did show 25v at the blue wire terminal on the soleniod which i thpught was high.

Starter will turn when power is run direct from battery.
1984GreenCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
BozCJ7
1984 CJ7 

If it's an automatic, the neutral safety switch may be disconnected. I had this problem a while back. It's located on the top driver side of tranny. It won't allow the jeep to start in gear, if it's disconnected it won't do anything.
BozCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
jammer1
1979 CJ7 

When you have the key turned to start, check the connection (with volt meter) on the solenoid side that goes to the starter. It should be 12 to 13.5 volts. If it's not, check the ground at the mounting flange. The blue wire comes from the neutral switch. It gives 12v to the terminal which energize the solenoid. This connects the battery side to the starter side. If no ground, solenoid doesn't work. If no 12v at the terminal (blue wire) then check the trans like mentioned above. If it's plugged in, on some you can put a jumper (connecting the two terminals on the wire harness) on the wire harness (by pass the switch) and then try the key.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I'd start with battery terminals and grounds.
(I ALWAYS start with grounds when having electrical problems)

Mine was the ground at the block. Wire corroded inside the terminal.

I couldn't find the problem for an hr until the wire fell out of terminal and was hanging there bare.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.