Will J20 axles work under my CJ5??????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Will J20 axles work under my CJ5???????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Closed Thread
Unread 08-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
fl_bwab
1981 CJ5 

Will J20 axles work under my CJ5???????

I found a cheap set of axles (dana 44 front and dana 60 rear) out of a J20. The guy selling them is slow in responding with the measurements so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas if they would work under my CJ5. I am looking to widen it up a bit...but not sure how these will work for that though.

Unread 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
fl_bwab
1981 CJ5 

here are a few pics on the axles if this helps any!

Unread 08-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

I don't think so. I'm in the process of doing a fullwidth that I decided I'm gonna do myself it's not that hard.

I think that j20's are fullsize and you would need to outboard. Correct me if Im wrong.
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
fl_bwab
1981 CJ5 

wonder how hard it would be to outboard for full size. I know psc makes a kit...just not sure how hard it would be to do. Anyone done this ???
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
jason m

looks like the front has a LSD or locker in it all ready cant really tell witch one. never seen one like that before, cool, jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Powerloc?...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
fl_bwab
1981 CJ5 

im new to these as well...he said both are locked. Again the price is very right on these if they will work and not cost me a ton of money to modify. Im in the process of re-building this jeep with a different frame etc so the sky is the limit on mods...my bank account is another subject however
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Powerloc?...
thats what i thought but i ( if my memmory serves me right) i thought they looked like a detroit, kinda. anyways i love opening up diffs and finding suprise's, jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
fl_bwab
1981 CJ5 

anyone else???? If not then someone just lie and say they will work perfect....!!!!!
Unread 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Will they work? Sure. Like people suggested - outboard or buy the PSC kit. I just sold a PSC kit - it was very straightforward, but still requires a little welding for the shackles.

Will they look good on your CJ-5? No. They are way too wide, like taking a school bus down the trail.

You will need to outboard/kit anything other than a CJ axle. Even Scout front D44 differentials interfere with the passenger CJ front leaf spring. If I were you, I'd go find a 1986 WT D44 rear and cut down some other D44 front to match it, or buy a PSC kit and a set of 61" Wagoneer axles. That's as wide as I would want to go on a CJ-5 if I were making the decision.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Will they work? Sure. Like people suggested - outboard or buy the PSC kit. I just sold a PSC kit - it was very straightforward, but still requires a little welding for the shackles.

Will they look good on your CJ-5? No. They are way too wide, like taking a school bus down the trail.

You will need to outboard/kit anything other than a CJ axle. Even Scout front D44 differentials interfere with the passenger CJ front leaf spring. If I were you, I'd go find a 1986 WT D44 rear and cut down some other D44 front to match it, or buy a PSC kit and a set of 61" Wagoneer axles. That's as wide as I would want to go on a CJ-5 if I were making the decision.
Nope, I used the J-20 axles becuse I wanted my major components to be 'Jeep'...

I did this same axle swap in my '79 CJ-7...
Outboard spring perches on the frame for the front, and if you can, get that J-20 steering box...
It will fit right on your frame and it's VARIABLE RATE where your CJ is single rate...

You will have to shorten the steering link (naturally), and Outboard/Fabricate the front spring mounting perches (Frame and shackle).
THIS IS A VERY GOOD TIME TO CONSIDER SHACKLE REVERSAL!
Worth every drop of sweat it takes to do, and since you are out-boarding and fabricating the mounts on both ends of the spring anyway, you aren't out a minute of time or materials!

The rear you will only have to remove old spring centering mounts on the differential and apply new ones.

J-20's had Dana 60 Rears,
Heavy Duty Dana 44's in the front,
And some pretty adequate size disc brakes up front.

While I was having someone fabricate/mount brackets,
I'd add a disc brake caliper bracket to the rear and do 4 wheel discs while I was under there...
It's not like you aren't going to be sitting around waiting for parts or something and can't whip the brackets out...
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

I have no idea what you're saying "nope" to, but a few comments:

- The fact that a D44 has 8 lugs does not make it a D44HD with an actual HD casting/housing.

- Your major components are not "Jeep". They are Dana. I used to have "Jeep parts only" mindset also, until I realized just how much I was 1) holding myself back by trying to adhere to it and 2) how much weaker a vehicle gets built by trying to adhere to it.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
fl_bwab
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Nope, I used the J-20 axles becuse I wanted my major components to be 'Jeep'...

I did this same axle swap in my '79 CJ-7...
Outboard spring perches on the frame for the front, and if you can, get that J-20 steering box...
It will fit right on your frame and it's VARIABLE RATE where your CJ is single rate...

You will have to shorten the steering link (naturally), and Outboard/Fabricate the front spring mounting perches (Frame and shackle).
THIS IS A VERY GOOD TIME TO CONSIDER SHACKLE REVERSAL!
Worth every drop of sweat it takes to do, and since you are out-boarding and fabricating the mounts on both ends of the spring anyway, you aren't out a minute of time or materials!

The rear you will only have to remove old spring centering mounts on the differential and apply new ones.

J-20's had Dana 60 Rears,
Heavy Duty Dana 44's in the front,
And some pretty adequate size disc brakes up front.

While I was having someone fabricate/mount brackets,
I'd add a disc brake caliper bracket to the rear and do 4 wheel discs while I was under there...
It's not like you aren't going to be sitting around waiting for parts or something and can't whip the brackets out...
did you cut the axles down or leave them as they were. Im not to concerned with the width. Im in Fl...this thing will be in the swamps and not trails. I dont want it to look stupid however. Heck most people already think the CJ5's look stupid so I guess it is all a matter of opinion anyways. I will check into the steering box...I didnt event think about that. My head is pounding just thinking about axles. To many options...Im just trying to get everything right the first time so save time, money, and headaches later on!!!!
Unread 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_bwab View Post
did you cut the axles down or leave them as they were. Im not to concerned with the width. Im in Fl...this thing will be in the swamps and not trails. I dont want it to look stupid however. Heck most people already think the CJ5's look stupid so I guess it is all a matter of opinion anyways. I will check into the steering box...I didnt event think about that. My head is pounding just thinking about axles. To many options...Im just trying to get everything right the first time so save time, money, and headaches later on!!!!
I didn't cut the axles, used them full width...
That makes it easier to get replacment axles and stuff when you break something in the front end...
And if you aren't a pavement pounder or wally-world parking curb climber, you WILL break something sooner or later!

There are direct replacment aftermarket axles for FSJ's that you won't break when you have the bucks to upgrade...
You can build a D-44 to the same strength as a Factory D-60 for a very reasonable amount... It's a good choice for trail riders and all around off roaders.

If you are going to do hard core rock climbing or something like that, you might as well skip the D-44/D-60 axles and go stright to Rockwell portal axles...

For us common off roaders that have a tendency to get into the 'Soup'...
Wider axles gives us better axle/wheel clearance without getting stupid tall on lift so the center of gravity becomes an issue...

Full width axles gives us the option to use Factory replacment parts or 'Off The Shelf' aftermarket parts...
Cut the housing and axles, and you have to buy EXPENSIVE 'One Of' parts every time something bad happens...

I like J-20 front axles since the tube material is thicker, less likey to bend and more to weld to when you are attaching mounts and such.
The brakes are bigger.
The axle shafts usually aren't undercut like some of the lighter duty axles are.

Just build yourself a front cross member that extends past the ends of the frame (Cross-ways) and make your front spring mounts and attach them to the new cross member...

My front cross member is actually my bumper too, so it REALLY worked out conveniently!
(Easy to make spring eye protectors for like that too!)
Since your bumper is already wider than your frame, it just makes sense to incorporate the outboard spring mounts on the back side or bottom of a heavy bumper/cross member...

Much stronger that way too!

the rear spring mounts are the problem...
You have to attach them outside of the existing frame, and they don't have a cross member to reinforce them...

SO,
Make a plate to fit on the outside of your frame to spread the twisting load the spring mount is going to generate.
Gives you PLENTY of room to make the rear spring mount, and makes it MUCH easier if you want to do a shackle reversal, which I highly recommend when using oversize axles and much larger tires!
Makes the vehicle steer SO MUCH better, and you climb over obstacles instead of pushing the axle backwards before it's finally forced over the obstacle!

With full width axles, you have the option of using trailing arms and coil springs also...
Trailing arm mounts are just like stronger versions of the leaf spring 'Eye' mounts...
Easy to build, don't have to be 'Out-boarded', but out-boarding will allow for more articulation,

If you use 'Scout' axles, they are narrow enough you really don't have room for coil springs easily...
Full size J-20 axles give you PLENTY of room for coils!
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
fl_bwab
1981 CJ5 

Thanks for the information...glad to hear from someone who has knowladge of these axles. So far I can hardly find ANY information about the J20 let alone anyone that has used the J20 axles in a swap. After this stupid storm blows by im going to make the drive to get them. Im POSITIVE that I will have many questions to come when humpty dumpty is ready to be put back together again. For now I am gathering all the parts I need and hope to god that I am doing everything right cause lord knows the last owner did some rigging that is just plain unsafe. Thanks again for making my mind up for me!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.