Will a IH T19 work in my cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Will a IH T19 work in my cj5

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
t600
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Will a IH T19 work in my cj5

I have a T150 that's jumping out of gear and was thinking about doing a 4 speed conversion instead of rebuilding. I would like having the granny gear with my 3:54 axel ratio. I was thinking about the ford T18 but today a friend offered me a IH T19. He thought I would need to get the input shaft machined shorter, other wise thought it would be the same as the T18. wondering if anyone on JF could shed some light on this for me. I have searched for a while but only found info on the ford T19. I also have a 304/D20. Thanks in advance!

t600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm my be impractical but not impossible
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
CSP

Impractical is the word. The IH transmissions thread into the bellhousing from inside the bell. I'm not sure what bellhousing you would use.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The Ford T-19 makes a great CJ tranny. It's as bullet-proof as a T-18 with the additional benefit of synchronized gears.

The IH T-19 sounds like an odd-ball that wouldn't be worth the effort to stick in a CJ.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
t600
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Found a ford T18! I'm going to start the swap when the weather warms up a little. If I'm set up for the T18 and later find a T19, would it be an easy swap? Also I read that I either need to do a 1'' body lift or lower the trans crossmember to make it fit, I'm thinking body lift as to not loose ground clearance. Any suggestions guys?
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

T18 is a great trans. Has a great 1st (granny gear) which you pretty much just use offroad. Good for super slow. It's basically a 3 speed with a crawler gear.

Most T19's don't have the awesome 1st (granny gear). Most are like 4.02:1 or something like that. 1st gear is synchronized. Because of 2nd gear being 2.41:1, it is truly a 4 speed and you will always be using 1st gear for normal driving. Try to start out in second and it will do it, but it will be a dog.

For clearance just trim the floor. I can't imagine it needing that much trimming to fit. If you drop the cross member rear drive line angle improves, but at the expense of front driveline angle (worsens). 1" body lift can be helpful in resolving a multitude of clearance issues, but opens up other issues, like will your steering stretch far enough, will your clutch continue to work, now there's a space between bumpers and body. Those are just a few off top of my head, I'm sure there's more.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
t600
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info on the 1st gear, didn't know that about the T19. I thought I herd something about using some scout 4 speed parts to make it work, I think it was the main shaft. I do have access to them if needed. Any idea?
Unread 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
CSP

Not sure what you're referring to with using Scout parts. To make what work?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
t600
2003 TJ Wrangler 

To fit the ford T18 in place of my T150. I've read lots of swap info, probably got mixed up in my head. Pretty common problem...

Tags
4 speed , t150 , t18 , t19

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.