Will hi-steer work with SUA? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
jeepwhore
1984 CJ7 

Will hi-steer work with SUA?

I finally picked up the toyota axles and rebuilt engine for my build and I'm running the issues I will encounter putting these axles under my jeep through my head while I'm away at work.

The first issue is the steering box on a toyota is mounted so that the pitman arm is vertical and moves front to back rather than side to side. To make this work toyota used a driver side steering arm with a standard tierod connection off the front and a J-shaped arm off the rear that wraps around the shock to make the pitman arm connection.

The second issue is that the steering is set up like a YJ with the drag link being connected to the tie rod, so the passenger side arm only has one hole in it.

All of this means I will have to replace the steering arms. So far it seems no one makes a set of arms that aren't for hi-steer. So I figure, meh, it's only money (wish my wife thought the same thing ) and will drop $200+ on a set but I'm not sure if hi steer will work with my SUA set up.

The Jeep is staying SUA with a 4" BDS lift and 1/2" shackles.

I don't want to spend that much cake just to run into clearance issues from the tie rod and drag link moving up a couple inches and the frame and track bar etc. being a couple inches lower than they would be if it was SOA.

Thoughts?

'84 CJ-17: 17" stretch, locked Toy axles, 5.5" lift, FI, AX15, D300 w/twin sticks, boatsides & junk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.